Diatoms? Brown Algea?

henryd

Reefing newb
Ok...I am getting tired of using the magnet on the sides EVERY DAY and stirring up the sand. When I get home from work, the tank has a thin brown coating on glass and the white sand is covered with what I thought was diatoms but maybe it is brown algea?

Suggestions?

How long has the tank been set up for? What are your water parameters? How long do you keep your lights on for? What does your cleaner crew consist of? How much and how often do you feed?

The usual questions first, then we can try to help.

Hey biff... Love your new picture istead of the old one... It was kinda butch... As to the brown algae, your tank is probably just going through it's UGLY STAGE... Give it a couple of weeks and it should subside... Also check your phosphate levels...

Just part of the newness of your tank. I have it too...

I just clean the big stuff off so I can see everything... Will go away eventually. Keep in mind algae will still grow on the tank glass, its just part of the maintenance of the hobby...

The tank has been up for a year. The water is ph 8.1, temp 81, Am =0, Ni=0, Na = 0, Phos = 0, Ca=390, Alk 4.1meq, Mg=900, Lights are MH 250w (3) 6hrs a day, PC Atinics 39w (4) 8 hrs a day, bultbs were replaced July 6th.
I feed every other day, once, alternate 1 cube mystis shrimp or plankton and flake. Water is RODI, salt is Inst Ocean, I use a Phosphate reactor with ROWAS, skimmer is ETSS Reef Devil deluxe.

what brand bulbs are you using, and of what kelvin rating. I have heard that some of the cheap bulbs, such as those sold on ebay, are very yellow. even the ones rated at 10 to 14k.

How long has it been since you checked the cartridges in your RO/DI?
If they are exhausted,they could be causing your problem.

This is perplexing. Do you have a large enough cleaner crew? Have you thought about adding a lawnmower blenny? He will keep the glass clean.

also, look for a sifting starfish. They help to keep the sand clear of diatoms. A nice tang will nip at them as well. Oh, yeah, what is your bio-load? are you overstocked? that also could be contributing to the problem

-Doc

Back