Diatoms/brown Algea ??

RAYRAY

Tiny Tank Club A+ Member
Well, A Quick Update.... Things Are Going Great With The Tank Now. "mator" Is Eating, Swimming, Doing Everything That I Guess A Fish Would Do. I Can Even Get Him To Come To The Top Of The Water To Eat.
So My Plan Was To Wait To Add Anything To The Tank Until I Could put a sump together out of my 10 gallon tank So I Can Add A Skimmer. But, I Think I Have To Get Some Sort Of Small Cleaning Crew. Maybe Like 5 Snails, And 3 Red Scarlet Crabs. The Reason......TONS OF BROWN ALGEA !!! I Mean Like A Carpet. On The Rocks Sand And The Lower Part Of The Glass. I Think I Have To Do Something About It, I Dont Think It Looks Good.

My Water Has Been Great, Nitrite= 0 Ammonia=0 Nitrates As Of Yesterday Almost 0. No More Strip Tests Either.Doing the drop test with the water.

I Will Be Away For A Couple Days So When I Get Back I Think I Am Going To Test Silicates And Phosphates To See If That Is Why My Brown Algea Is Going Crazy.And then start building my sump.

Any Sugesstion Would Be Great !!!
Thanks

Last edited:
I went threw the same thing after my cycle. i went and got:
10 turbo snails (there huge, they eat like a lawnmower)
10 smaller snails(cant rememeber what there called)
10 cleaner crabs
within one week they had cleared 95% of that brown algea

what i have read it says that they munch on coraline, my personal experience, i have 2 kind of urchis in my tank, if you see a pic of my tank theres no trace or so little spots of algae cause the are voracious..i dont even have to clean my glass..

The brown algae and diatoms will eventually go away on there own.
But the Urchins will help keep it in check.

try feed less and big water changes of RO water, also chemi clean is great to eliminate the algae but if you do not fix the source of nutrientes you will see it again.

Back