Diatoms looking light purple ????

crazy cajun

Reefing newb
Ok my tank is almost 4 months old now, i have been having diatoms on the substrate for a several weeks which i know is normal for a new tank, but the past week i notice that in a few areas the diatoms looks like a light lavender color it still has the same texture as diatoms just diferent color, does diatoms turn this color??? or is this something else now?? it seems to be more prominant when the lights are on by the end of the day and seems to partialy go away when lights have been out over night like my diatoms does.

Parameters

Salt 1.024
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0
Phosphates 0
Ca 480
Temp 79

Reactor with GFO
Cheato in refugium
i have a UV filter but have not used it yet

might be cyano, that's pretty common for a 4 month old tank.

you shouldn't be getting diatoms still unless you have a source producing silicates...

diatoms will last until all the sillicate is use up in the sand. if it is turning purple i am betting that it is cyano bacteria

I'm still battling cyano in my tank myself.... try to fix things that promote its growth; excess organics in the water column(can be removed by skimming); phosphate/nitrates; bad bulbs. And in the mean time Siphon it out. If mine starts getting out of hand I do a 3 day lights out and that will kill it all. Like I said, I'm still battling the stuff myself xD

I wouldn't go with the chemical if you can help it.

i do use Kents Coral Vite, iodide,and Micro Vert weekly, could these cause any problems ??? i feed fish 1/4 cube of old sanfransisco bay variety once a day.

The Coral Vite and Micro Vert could contribute to algae problems. Especially if you don't have a lot of corals to eat it all.

Biff i have
1-hammer / frogspawn LOL
1- green moon brain
1-flower pot
1- cup coral
1-open brain
1-small green stripe mushroom
1-small candy cane
1-tree sponge
1- Grogonian
1- finger leather
lavender mushroom rock
small
eagle eye colony
small unknown colony

do i need the micro vert and coral vite??

Last edited:
Back