Diatoms overpopulation!

dragonet123

Reefing newb
My live rock has this brown algae all over it. I am sure that it is diatoms. But, its everywhere. Its on my sand, my live rock, and even on my glass! They just started to grow, about a week ago. How do I get rid of it!!??

~Thanks

A few years back I was plagued with a datom over population in my tank, I thought I did everything to get rid of the stuff it was a chore, when I got a better protein skimmer one rated for a 380 gallon tank and I have a 180 gallon then I was free of the problem. the literature says they come from using tap water and having high organic's in the water, I never used tap water so I may have had hight than expected orgainic's. this and a few bucks will get a cup of coffee good luck.

Most new tanks have them, in fact, mine does right now. They will eventually burn up the silica in your tank and wear themselves out, but like Tom said, a bigger skimmer would be beneficial, as would be stocking up your nassarius and cerith snails; they both bury themselves in the sand and eat all that junk.

A benefit is that diatoms on your rocks will open up coralline algae growth. I've noticed, and others have, too, that if the surface is dark, coralline will grow much faster.

Back