Did all my critters die?

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
I had alot of nighttime critters when I first started cycling my tank. Stuff that was pretty small but would actually leave trails on my sand come morning. Now I can't find anything. No trails, I've even checked out with a flashlight at night and can't find anything other than this one little snail type critter with no shell that is occasionally stuck to my glass come morning. No longer than 1/4". Could they have all died? And if so, can I go to my lfs and get more without having to buy more rock? I'd also like to set up this 6 gallon eclipse I have lying around to grow more and perhaps cure the occasional chunk of rock to build up the rest of my reef slowly. Is there any problem to doing this?

I agree with Freak. Likey died off due to ammonia and nitrites during the cycle. But some survived, I promise. They'll be back. Give them some time.

after the cycle is completed some will come back..hungrier!!...you will be pleased to see the wonderfull things that will bloom from the rocks!!

how long has your tank been up and running. I would say cycle too. do you have any fish yet. there are lots of fish that will eat them

When I started the cycle my lfs gave me a scoop of "grunge" from the bottom of one of his established tanks, thats where I got the bulk of my critters. My LR is gorgeous, but there did not seem to be a whole lot of "life" on it. I'm wondering if my I should get another scoop from my lfs, or even see if he sells pods to seed the tank again.

If you want to speed things up, get some more of that grunge. But if you're patient, they'll come back anyways. I wouldn't spend the $25 on the bottle of pods for that. They're expensive.

I saw STP, Foo Fighters and Treble Charger all play in a private bash for 500 at a bar here about 10 years ago. Good times

Back