Did anyone go to the Marine Aquarium Expo in Costa Mesa this weekend?

JAG107

Reef enthusiast
I had a blast there today. Got to meet some nice coral farmers, learned a lot about LED lighting and many different halide bulbs and reflectors...
My favorite people were the guys from the Colorado Reef Society (I think that's their name). Hooked me up with 3 really nice milleporas for a song. My favorite is a deep blue with hairy green polyps! Unfortunately, I got stuck in traffic and missed Eric Bourneman's presentation. Anyone who lives in southern cal should make the trip tomorrow for sure!

Well the next show is at the Queen Mary I think the first week of August, not sure. Also, Reefapalooza in october is pretty much the same as this weekend's show, just different people who put it on; lots of LFS with frags, equipment demonstrations, etc. You get more than your $10 worth in freebies just walking in the door. One place was selling some acans for $250 for a 1" piece! CRAZY! I thought SPS was expensive, thank goodness I'm not into acans, blastos and chalices and that kinda stuff...

UGH! GEEZ! You guys are breaking my balls! ;)

Here's the Rainbow monti:
004_339935.JPG

019.JPG

Bad shot of the red millepora:
001_257812.JPG

A better one:
016_43792.JPG

Some freebie zoanthids:
017_478302.JPG

OK this picture sucks, the top frag is the blue w/ white polyp mille, and the one laying down below it is the blue w/ green polyp mille.
018_246032.JPG

Now I need some T5 bulb suggestions, I don't think I like the x2 10k's and x2 actinics combo. What do you guys think about a 15k, 20k, 10k, 12k? What would you do differently?

i talked to greg at reefgeek about this, he said it was complete bs because they are two total different style bulbs. heres his email to me about it

This study... :>)
http://archiv.korallenriff.de/Lichttest/T5-1.pdf

Not really a fair "Study". An AquaScience Special is similar to a GE 6500K Daylight, Pure White and not close to an ATI Aquablue. A much better comparison would have been to use an Aqua Science Duo against ATI Aquablue as both of these lamps are mixed blue/white lamps.

Warmest Regards,

Greg Morgan

ReefGeek, Inc.
310-329-8375
866-295-9230 (toll-free)

Back