Did i find the source of my Hair Algae?

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
Lots of us have the same story. Water parameters are all good, no detectable phosphates, lots of flow in the tank, clean up crew, etc. Yet we still have HA. I'm finally getting a handle on mine. Did two 3-day lights out sessions just a couple days apart, lots of water changes, picking the stuff out by hand, blowing stuff off the rocks with a turkey baster and now using a toothbrush to try to brush the shorter stuff off the rocks. Between the turkey baster and the brushing, i've noticed A LOT of debris coming off the rocks. Especially with the brushing. So much dust! Even with all the powerheads in my tank, i still have all this junk on the rocks. So is this what my HA is feeding off of?

have you checked the source of your water? i dont have an RODI unit, i was using one of the machines at the grocery store, and when i tested the water i found out they dont change their filters as often as they should have.

in my ongoing HA battle, one of my tactics is i am buying fresh water at the LFS to make salt water from and for top offs.

it took me about two months of work like your doing before i saw a turnaround and now after 5 months its almost gone. hang in there!

Detritus build up is probably a big contributor. Where detritus tends to settle in the rocks is where tufts of algae tends to grow. It's a vicious cycle, as the hair algae only traps more detritus. Are you sure you have a good enough cleaner crew?

"A LOT of debris coming off the rocks"

Dennis I have a ton of stuff on my rocks as well. It's a constant frustration. It 'cakes' on and is no longer dust like. I use a turkey baster to blow it off but you have to do it all the time in order to get it all off. I have a ton of flow at 7000 gph but it still settles there. Someone has got to have the answer.

Are you sure you have a good enough cleaner crew?

Well, i did. Like when i added 60 blue legged hermits and some more turbos and other snails. But then the cuc population ends up dwindling. Within the year I've had my tank I've bought a cuc 3 times. I tried a sea hare last month and he lasted about 6 days. My pencil urchin and long spine black urchin are still kicking but don't seem to do much, not sure. My fox face won't eat shit either. I have a banded brittle star but he stays on the sand. My cleaner shrimp eats the food i feed the tank, i don't even think he cleans other fish. I think my tank is the land of SLACKERS! :shock:
Oh but I do have plenty of mini white starfish to eat my coralline. :grumble:

I'd try a sea hare again, my sea hare "Dirt Bag", may he rest in peace, destroyed the hair algae that I had ((knock on wood)).

I'd brush my rock with a toothbrush while simultaneously doing my water change. Seemed to help a lot. What I brushed off went straight into a bucket.

Back