did I invite a problem

Bob Newbie

Reefing newb
Hoping for some reaasurance since I am totally new at his. started my new tank about 1 and half months ago with 50 lbs of LR in 70 gallon tank with no problems, 3 weeks later added 25 lbs more LR. Now the first live rock looks great but on the new pieces only, there is this short hail like stuff mostly brown with hints of green and red. All parameters look great So the question is did I just inivte a problem that will now grow and cover rest of tank? All of my parameters are good so should it stay under control? I rinsed the rock before putting it in but not a thorough scrubbing. thank you

Short answer: yes. But I would suggest cerith snails. Both dwarf and bigger ones. I had hair algae in my 20 gallon and they destroyed it in a matter of days.

Keep in mind that algae will always be in/on something you buy. It only takes a couple spores on a snail shell or a crab pinching on to a piece and it can spread in your tank from that.

Thank you for the quick response, I will pick up the snails. It is nice to know that at least there was nothing I could do to prevent it. You will probably see me often on this site since am new to this hobby and already addicted. Trying my best to learn as much as i can to minimize mistakes.

Now somewhat a related question, is there a preferred or recommended online place to order fish, snails etc, my LFS, although nice, always seems to be out of everything and will not expect another shipment for awhile. The next closet place is a little too far, unless I spend part of a weekend driving. For some reason LFS's in m area are carrying less and less Thanks again

Liveaquaria is my personal favorite. There's a bunch out there, though.

Check the vendor section to get a good overview!

thanks and sorry for all the newbie questions, but not only the algae issue but when i got home today what I think is diatoms is taking over tank I could not believe how fast this has grown in 12 hours, on rocks and sand, would these snails take care of this as well? I read that this should go on its own but would like to control as best as possible. I have been checking parameters all looks good nitrates are about 20 though

Mexican turbo snails will devour the hair algae but they are bull dozers and when they fall on their backs they can't turn over so they will just lay there and die.

Back