Did I set this up properly?

Acrylic

Reefing newb
RemoraPro.jpg

It's an Aqua C Remora Pro protein skimmer.

Seems kind of odd that the intake for the pump would be directly under the return flow from the protein skimmer. The Mag 3 pump's face can be unscrewed and I could change the orientation ... does it really even matter?

Also, aside from looking pretty silly just having the pump hanging there, is there some way I can pad it so that it doesn't vibrate against the glass? I just want to keep my fish sane...

And yea, my glass is gettin dirty in the front.. my snails aren't keeping up with the algae and I think I've been leaving my lights on too long.

Last edited:
You could just spin the pump around, mount the suctions cups on the opposite side. That way you're not taking in all the water that just came out of the skimmer. You can buy a piece of rubber foam stuff and stick it to the side of the glass to keep it from vibrating.

How long have you been leaving your lights on for?

The pump didn't come with suction cups. The base of the pump (currently facing the bottom of the tank) has 4 holes in it which could be used for suction cups I guess, but the holes themselves are a good 1/4 inch long, so it would take a special suction cup to fit those holes. Strangely enough, the pump came with a bag of 4 Tootsie Rolls... I have no idea what that's about, haha.

So long as changing the orientation of the intake won't affect the pump's performance, I will go ahead and switch it so it's facing away from the return flow.

As for my lights, I was leaving them on for 10 hours or more. I've got them on a timer now for 6 hours.

If you don't mine not running the skimmer for a day or two then dab some aquarium safe silicone to the area of the pump that touches the glass.Let it dry for at least 24 hours and put it back on.

I've heard of some online vendor that puts candy in with there shipment.Kind of like a ''thank you'' for doing business with us.

Alright - silicon sounds like a pretty permanent solution so I will hold off for now until I am completely happy with how I've got all my equipment set up.

I've got the intake out from under the return flow so I'm happy.

Thanks Biff, Reef. :Cheers:

Back