Die flatworms, Die

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
Well, I HAD a case of planaria flatworms and I dosed my tank today with Flatworm Exit. There were only about 100 flatworms that were visable but I thought it would be best to take care of it now before it became a huge problem.

Here is how I handled it:
- Got 15 gallons of saltwater ready for a water change
- Put a pound of carbon in a media bag
- Sucked out all the visable flatworm out with an airline tube
- Dropped 50 drops of Salifert Flatworm exit into the aquarium
- Kept all pumps running until I noticed that all the flatworms were dead
- Shut everything down and did a 15 gallon water change
- Turned everything back on and added the carbon

It has been 6 hours since I treated the tank, and I haven't seen any yet. I couldnt' beleive how quick that flatworms started to die. I bet it only took a minute before all the flatworms started to peel off the rock. It was a wonderful sight:bounce:

I will be keeping a close eye on the tank and if I see anymore I will dose again.

wow im glad it seems to be a great success so far. hopefully that takes care of it for you. Sounds like you had a good game plan. keep us updated.

flatworms are nothing to puss-around about. If you see one....just one. KILL THE BASTARD!!! ended up losing a lot of livestock to a massive outbreak not to long ago. Out west, flatworm exit is hard to come by. Salifert recalled a ton of it and I haven't seen it for months. I have used Blue Life flatworm control and it works well, just not as fast. Usually overnight. Best of luck killing those little fuc%ers!

-Doc

Wow, great job executing those bastards. I'm lucky not to have encountered them yet.
I began dipping all new SPS frags in 2little fishies' Coral Revive for 10 minutes at the end of acclimation to ensure quick death to all hitchhiking flatworms. I do try to rescue any attached pods though. Waste not...

Now I dont feel like a complete idiot:mrgreen:
Gotta save all the pods we can.I pick em out of the filter media before I rinse it out.

Good luck with the flatworms. Luckly I have never had them, knock on wood.

They actually are one of the easier pest to take care of, that is IF you take care of them right away.

I would rather have these red planaria flatworms vs. a mantis shrimp or acro eating flatworms (AEFW)

Doesn't everyone save their pods. It is a living creature that needs to get back in my tank and get to work! When it is done cleaning it needs to reproduce and be eaten.

Back