difference between florida and yuma rics?

BL1

I've been looking at getting some rics for the past week or so, and I'm wondering what the difference between florida and yumas are? It seems like the Floridas are anywhere from 4-6 times more expensive everywhere I've looked, how come? ... Also, can someone ID this pic for me, I found this on a website, and I'd really like to find one for my tank
Ricordea2.jpg

Floridas are smaller, more brightly colored and more expensive. Their "bumps" are circular and uniform in size.

Yumas are much larger, usually more dull colors and cheaper. Their "bumps" are different shapes and sizes.

I'm not sure what kind of ric that is in the pic, but it looks photoshopped. A good website to buy rics is www.coralmorphologic.com. Their mixed packs are a fantastic value.

Thanks for the help Biff! I kinda figured you'd be the one to answer, you being the Ric expert and all

The LFS store I went to last Saturday had a BRIGHT! Pink Florida Ric. Yuma.

It was INSANE!!!! My g/f was like "I want that!" and the LFS worker said "That's $250". Needless to say it didn't come home.

Yep, I keep seeing all these really nice ones on Live Aquaria but, they're all around that same price. That site Biff linked has some really nice ones though all for under $40

My Yuma reproduces like CRAZY! so get ready for lots of babies. The "Mother" yuma is so big though it kinda suffocates the babies so many don't make it.

Yeah and their ric grab bag is like 12 rics for $100 or something. That's insanely cheap. You have to pay shipping though. But $250 or more you get free shipping.

My Yuma reproduces like CRAZY! so get ready for lots of babies. The "Mother" yuma is so big though it kinda suffocates the babies so many don't make it.

I have that problem with my giant star mushroom... It makes babies but underneath the big "parent" shroom. So none of them get light.

Well, since I have such a small tank maybe I'll be able to frag them. I just found out that I actually do have an LFS only 10 mins from my house. Apparently you have to make an Appt. just to go and shop at the store, it's supposed to be so that they can make sure you get one on one service and any help you need. Hopefully if it's a good LFS I'll be able to bring some in for credit

i have the same problem with the babies under the parent of a green striped shroom... anything i can do to keep the parent closed up for a few days of the week but not do permanent damage? the babies grow REAL quick but without light not so much...

I've fed the "Mother" shroom and it has kept it closed enough for at least a couple of the babies to get large enough to move around for light. You could also frag the "Mother"

Yumas have the bubbles around and over there mouths, the Florida's don't. Yumas grow very big and always round/circle... Florida's get multiple mouth I have one that looks like a surf board, with 3 mouths on it. Yumas are more sensitive, you have to photo acclimate it, or they will shrink/melts away...Florida's can tolerate high intense lighting and are over all a hardier coral.

Wow, at my lfs they give rics away for $20 and up, Floridas are the cheap ones here, and the Yumas, or Yams as we call em are like $60. But I never saw one colored like that! Rics are a pain in the butt to me. They detach and crap, then I find em on a powerhead in the rocks. They are sexy though.....

Well, since I have such a small tank maybe I'll be able to frag them. I just found out that I actually do have an LFS only 10 mins from my house. Apparently you have to make an Appt. just to go and shop at the store, it's supposed to be so that they can make sure you get one on one service and any help you need. Hopefully if it's a good LFS I'll be able to bring some in for credit

I would so hate that. I hate not being able to shop in peace without people watching me. And not feeling like I'm wasting anyone's time if I walk. Sometimes i just want to browse, unless something strikes my fancy.

I have florida rics and haitian rics and those two look the same to me.

I would so hate that. I hate not being able to shop in peace without people watching me. And not feeling like I'm wasting anyone's time if I walk. Sometimes i just want to browse, unless something strikes my fancy.

I know what you mean, I'm the same way I can walk around an LFS for hours and not buy anything. But I'm hoping that since they care so much about providing personal customer service that they'll be a decent LFS

Back