Difference between regular hqi bulbs and hqi sps bulbs?

SalteeDogg

Reefing newb
Shopping for some new bulbs and noticed they sell sps hqi bulbs. I do plan on having alot of sps in the tank so been considering them. Was wondering what the difference in the bulbs are. I thought you could keep sps under regular hqi's. I have heard 20k sps bulbs look more like 15k.

What exactly do you mean by SPS bulbs? Are you talking about BlueLife South Pacific Sunlight brand bulbs or metal halide bulbs for growing SPS corals?

HQI is a European standard for double ended (DE) bulbs. To fire true HQI bulbs, you need a pulse start magnetic HQI ballast. There are no single ended (SE) true HQI bulbs. The Blue Life SPS bulbs come in SE only and are not HQI. I was considering using the 250w Blue Life SPS 10k bulb because it has good PAR and a nice color.......but I was told by the "Lighting Guru" the bulbs are junk and lose their PAR and shift colors fast.

What exactly do you mean by SPS bulbs? Are you talking about BlueLife South Pacific Sunlight brand bulbs or metal halide bulbs for growing SPS corals?

HQI is a European standard for double ended (DE) bulbs. To fire true HQI bulbs, you need a pulse start magnetic HQI ballast. There are no single ended (SE) true HQI bulbs. The Blue Life SPS bulbs come in SE only and are not HQI. I was considering using the 250w Blue Life SPS 10k bulb because it has good PAR and a nice color.......but I was told by the "Lighting Guru" the bulbs are junk and lose their PAR and shift colors fast.

Actually there is a guy on my local forum that has 20k sps hqi bulbs. I didn't know sps was actually a brand, I thought when I heard people say sps bulbs that it was for sps corals :frustrat:...

I stand corrected. I was unaware they made DE bulbs, however they are not HQI. From the description on the page...."Unlike some other bulbs, SPS Metal Halide bulbs are manufactured with built-in igniters (starters) that allow them to be used with any type of ballast."
True HQI bulbs must be fired with a magnetic pulse start ballast which overdrives them. An electronic ballast will fire them, but at a lower than recommended voltage so you don't get the intended color or PAR output. A magnetic probe start ballast will not fire them at all.

Here are the only 250w Blue Life SPS bulbs that were tested.
250w SDC performance

Back