Difference between these bulbs?

charlieB

Reefing newb
My question is in regards to the lights for my coralife biocube 29, the stock bulbs are PC bulbs, 1 36W 10k and 1 36W actinic. My current bulbs are about 4 months old, so I will be replacing them in a month or so and when I was looking at them online I found some similar bulbs and can't really tell what the functional difference between the two are. These are the bulbs that it comes with:

36W 10K PC Bulb

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Coralife-36W-Actinic-Straight-Pin-PC-bulb-ES54081.htm

These are the other bulbs:

36W 12K PC-R

36W Actinic PC-R

The only obvious difference I can tell is that the stock white bulb is 10k and the other white bulb is 12k, but I'm not sure what effect, if any, that has on corals.

It's just a different brand. The bulbs it comes with are Coralife brand, the other ones are UV Lighting brand. As for the color, 10K is a bit more white/yellow than 12K, which is a bit more blue. With an actinic bulb next to it, I'm not sure you'd even notice much of a difference, but if you think you'd like a more blue tint to your tank, try out the 12K.

Thanks. I do like the blue look, would it be going overboard if I replaced the 10k white bulb with a 50/50 12k/actinic?

Back