difference in skimmers

steelcity

Reefing newb
It was suggested that I get rid of my emperor 350 on my 16 bowfront and get a skimmer. It apears that the octopus and the aqua c have the best ratings. Is there a major difference between the two? Also if I do use either of these skimmers, do I need a seperate small powerhead in the tank for waterflow?

My 350 puts out good waterflow and disperses decently. No real dead spots in the tank. Not sure how much flow those skimmers will put out. Thanks.

The Octopus skimmers are better than the Aqua C, but both are really good. Both are HOB (hang on back), so you're all set if you don't have a sump. You will probably still need a powerhead (and you should have one now, an Emperor isn't enough for a tank's flow), but you can get a cheap MaxiJet that works great for less than $20. The skimmers will put out as much flow as the pump that's powering them.

I'd go with the K2 also.
You want enough flow to keep detritus in suspension so the skimmer can pull it out of the tank.

I just tried to k1 and it just seemed like it was too much. My new xenias were like pinned down istead of gently swaying. I tired a bunch of spots in the tank. Second it just looked ugly in there. Seemed kind of big against everything.

The secret is to hide it under a couple of rocks.You can also use the rock to break up the flow so that its more chaotic and less intense.

Back