Digital Meters vs Test Strips

wellnuts

Reefing newb
What do people think about Digital Meters? They're a little expensive, but it seems like they might be worth it. I've been using API multi-test strips and the readings are very subjective. In general there is a large jump in the readings from color to color, so even if you "think" you can match the color, or be close to it, it only gives you an approximate value. The pads also bleed so you only end up with a "readable" color in the center. This makes the PH reading almost useless. The Nitrite and Nitrate squares are just stupid..... 0 = White but those two pads are already pink, right out of the package.

I've been looking at Digital PH ($100), Calcium ($250), and Nitrate ($250) meters. No way i can afford them all at once, but I'm considering the PH meter first.

What does everyone think?

Tank:
75 gallon. 50 lbs live rock, 1 percula clown, 2 Blk/Wht percula clowns, 2 cardinals, 1 square side anthias, bubble anemone, devil's hand coral. Tank is 1 year old (was already cycled when purchased), and I would like to start adding some corals ( why I'm looking at the calcium meter).

Thanks

You can get some pretty good PH moniters.Which you need when your running a calcium reactor.But unless your setting up an SPS dominant tank,you dont need to go that high tech.
You'll come out a lot cheaper by just using Salifert test kits.Even cheap API kits will get you close enough 99% of the time.
Those strips are usless.

Yote said it. Get some good Salifert test kits. On average, they run aprox $20-$25 each. Some monitors are good and accurate, but some are less acurate then a good test kit.

The drop test kits are much more accurate than the dip stick test trips. Those should not be relied on as your sole way of testing your water. If you can afford to go digital, why not?

pH drop test kits are usually the easiest to read, so if I were you, I'd go with nitrate.

Back