digital thermometer malfunction

pod

Reefing newb
has anyone had problems with digital thermometer ( coralife brand?). i accidentally found out that it was reading 5 degrees (F) low!!!! so i've been increasing my heater... i realized that this may not be working when i checked with my old glass thermometer.

btw, i've had this for about 3 months now.

i did life the digital readings... like to know what others are using for thermometer.

That sucks! Luckily 5 degrees too low probably isn't bad enough to hurt anything... I use a digital one too. I have a glass one, it's probably a good idea to periodically double check them against each other, although I have had glass ones fail too! That's what happened when I set up my new tank, and the glass thermometer consistently read ~75 when in actuality, the temperature was 93!!! So the glass thermometers can't be trusted all the time either. Maybe the only solution is to buy a third one...

I have three of them in different areas of my system.One in the sump,one in the display and another in the overflow.All read within a half degree of one another.Maybe you have a defective one,go with two to be sure.

I've got 2 that reed 10 degrees difference.
But I just keep one in my sump and know that is its reading 89 that my tanks actually at 79.

Back