dinos are back so going to try Kalkwasser..Need help

SalteeDogg

Reefing newb
Ok this time around I am going to try the kalkwasser drip method to see if it helps any. I have never used kalkwasser before but have an ideal on how its mixed and dripped into the system. When should I drip and how long at a time should I drip kalkwasser? Any help would be appreciated

Don't ask me. I managed to crash both of my tanks simultaneously while dripping kalk. Be very careful when trying to get your pH up that high!

This might help you a little and is the method I used to erradicate them from my tank: https://www.livingreefs.com/kalwasser-and-dose-t538.html

this is the part that I used the most:

try mixing and adding your Kalkwasser like this: pour 15ml of 5% Acetic Acid (or ordinary Distilled White Vinegar from the grocery store -- same thing) into a 1 liter (1 quart) container. Dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of lab-grade Ca(OH)2 (or commercial Kalkwasser mix) in the Acetic Acid, and then dilute to 1 liter (1 quart) volume with either RO/DI water, or even tank water.

15 ml is more Vinegar than some people are comfortable with, but I use it constantly with no problems. There should be no sediment in the mixture, or just a little bit at most. You can let the sediment settle out if you don't like the white flakes in your tank. I just drip the liquid and the sediment both into my tank.

Last edited:
I saw your other thread where they were saying to shut out your light for a week and skim heavily. Did you also run carbon by chance? Do any major water changes?

I had dinos taking over my tank shortly after I set it up and basically I just sucked out as much manually as possible, cut out the light for a week and covered it from all sunlight with some garbage bags, ran my skimmer (obviously), tossed a big bag of carbon in the sump, and did about 25% water changes every other day. Took off the bags and turned my lights back on and they never came back.

I'd say it would be safer to do that than risk a kalk disaster.

Back