Dinos growing in sump

clancaster23

Reefing newb
I'm pretty sure I have dinoflagellate algae growing in the fuge section of my sump. Fortunately it is not growing anywhere in the display tank. Should I be concerned about this or should I do something about it? I know the whole purpose of a fuge is to let algae grow in it so it doesn't grow in the display but I had dinos grow in another tank before and don't want it to start again cause it is a pain to get rid of.

imo if you try to remove then you would run the risk if sending them in to your dt unless you would remove the sump and clean every thing then reinstall it but that can be a major pain in the butt

Sounds like a plan. May do it tomorrow. Just wondering how I got them. The stuff in there is basically brand new. I started it with new crushed coral and put some dried rock I got from a fellow reefer and it hadn't been used for quite a while. I'm going to have to really clean the rock that is in there also. Should I put some new sand in there for a substrate or just go bare with rock?

Pulled all crushed coral out, took the rock I had in there and scrubbed it clean and cleaned up the inside glass. Was basically a water change, also took maybe a quarter of the chaeto I had in there out, stuff grows fast. Hopefully that stuff is gone for good.

Pulled all crushed coral out, took the rock I had in there and scrubbed it clean and cleaned up the inside glass. Was basically a water change, also took maybe a quarter of the chaeto I had in there out, stuff grows fast. Hopefully that stuff is gone for good.
:thumbsup:

What is your ph looking like? They thrive in low ph systems. I would try and look into what's causing it rather than putting a bandaid on it. Just my $.02

Looks to be right at 7.8. I guess that's on the low side. Thing is, I had crushed coral in there, I thought if anything that it would raise the Ph. I have sand in the DT. Anyways, I have something to dose and will try using it to raise it a couple points.

Actually just did all tests that I have and got these results. Remember that I basically just did a water change two days ago.

Ph - 7.8
Nitrate - 10
Nitrite - 0
Ammonia - 0
Calcium - 520
Phos - 0 (I always get a 0 reading but I still fight spots fo green hair algae so I think I have a low level)
Alkalinity - 7.6 (This is low. How do I raise it over time?)

Just a note on the nitrate level, I just lost a starry blenny and no idea where it went. I'm guessing it died and it's still in there somewhere so that could be the cause of the 10 reading although I don't think that's high.

Back