Dino's?

tubz

Reefing newb
I have been dealing with algae problems for awhile. It has went from a gha and turf algae which is gone to some cyano and now I think possibly Dino's.
Some reasons I believe that it may be are I have recently tried 2 attempts with chemo clean and no benefit at all. I have lost many snails, a couple urchins and also my fox face and yellow tang out of the blue. Within the last 8 months I has purchased a clean up crew from reef cleaners and I haven't seen a Nass snail for ages. Most ceriths are now dead also.
The rocks look like they have a fuzzy layer over them and sometimes have bubbles on the end.
Tank is a 90 gallon with sump
2 years old reef octopus skimmer rated for 200 gallon 2 radions for light. Currently I have 3 clowns a flame angel and orange striped cardinal and pink spotted goby. I feed half a cube a day
Ammonia nitrites and nitrates are at zero
Phosphate test shows less than .25
I am using a brs media reactor with phosban and charcoal.
I was using the brs Gfo but just switched to phosban.
It doesn't look to bad but I'm tired of losing snails and fuzzy rocks.
Any other opinions are welcome

Thanks image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Also the hob filter I was just running after the chemiclean treatments to help filter out garbage from the water column. I changed filters every few days in it when it was running

Have you tried a total blackout for a few days (3 days at least)? There must be something that is feeding the algae, what kind of water do you use for your water changes and how frequent are they? What kind of food do you feed your livestock? I'm sure you have high levels of nitrates and phosphates in your tank even if the readings show them low they are high, but because the algae is feeding on them your readings are not really accurate.

Also, for how long do you have your lights on? I will try to short the photoperiod on your tank just to see if this helps. Another things I will do is a big water change like a 50% using RODI and I will take the powerheads out and clean them with a mix of one part of water and one part of vinegar (after cleaning them you can put them in a bucket with the water/vinegar mix and leave them running there fo r a while. Then rinse them with water and put them back in the tank). Remove the rock and scrub them thoroughly to remove as much algae as you can from them, rinse them with clean saltwater after that and put them back in the tank.

Algae bloom are a headache. :mad:

I don't know why else all my snails are dying. The stuff on the sand you think is diatoms?
Yes I think that is diatoms. You likely have nitrate in your system the algae is just using it up so your not getting a reading on it. If you have phosphate and algae then you have nitrate too. Algae won't grow without nitrate and phosphate. Are you feeding any flake or pellet foods?

If I were you I would remove the LR and scrub them in a bucket of saltwater (from a water change before dumping ) then place them back in the tank, and do a black out for two to three days followed by another water change. And see if that helps.

Back