Directional u-tubes

arkansasboy

Reefer Wannabe
Are the directional u-tubes for the return really beneficial as far as directing the flow? Can they in some ways replace a powerhead? I am thinking about splitting my return line and using 2 directional u-tubes.

I have 2 u tubes on my tank. They can't really replace a powerhead. Unless you have a really high flow rate going through them. But they also make some tips that have smaller openings forcing the water to flow out at a higher velocity in order to keep the flow rate up. You could try those but I can't guarantee they would work exactly like your hoping. Just do some looking around :) good luck

There are loc-line fittings that are made for what you are describing. They sell them on ebay for about $34.00 bucks. Type in "loc-line circle flow". I have been considering since starting my own improvement to creating flow behind my rock frame work from some bottom returns i have in my tank.

There are loc-line fittings that are made for what you are describing. They sell them on ebay for about $34.00 bucks. Type in "loc-line circle flow". I have been considering since starting my own improvement to creating flow behind my rock frame work from some bottom returns i have in my tank.
Thats interesting. Can the nozzles be individually placed to direct flow in different directions?

It's one 24 inch pipe but about every inch where the nozzle is they can be rotated so that they aim towards the direction you leave it at.

Back