Dirty bottom

R3verb

Time to add some coral!
Hey all,

I have a 28 gal nano tank set up with 3 fish some inverts and some snails. I keep getting really dirty sand with this stringy looking stuff (see pic). Anything I can get to keep this from flaring up? I'd like to just get some snails or crabs or something rather than adding chemicals in. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Casey

Attachments

• IMG_2849 copy.JPG
    IMG_2849 copy.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 859
Yea I have just been using tap water. I live in Fort Collins, CO and our tap water is pretty good but I am guessing I should be conditioning it. Any suggestions?

You could try these for a dirty bottom

Wet Wipes: Charmin Freshmates Wet Wipes - Charmin.com

:mrgreen:

More seriously, try increasing the flow in that area.

What are your water parameters?

How much and how often do you feed?

How old is the tank?

Parameters last time i checked (last sunday) were PH 8.0, Amonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10ppt(ppm?).

I feed once daily (usually at night) and just enough for them to eat for 3mins. I also am starting just this week to feed my coral twice a week.

The tank has been set up for about 6 months now and I just added a bunch of lace rock (about 15lbs) to my 8lbs of live rock and I have live sand as well. Thanks for the advice!

Casey

I would guess that the nitrates are causing the algae.

Did you rinse off the rock before adding it? There could have been some crud on the rock also. I had a slight algae bloom when I added rock rubble to my fuge.

I would also consider switching to RO water. I live in an area that has pretty good tap water also, but it causes trouble over time. All the crap in it just accumulates over time.

R3, I had a similar issue and i put some phos-orb in my filter and it was gone literally in a day. I think you should try it as well, im by no means an expert so please listen to the other guys but this really worked for me and just wanted to share it with you.

Back