dirty sand bed

reefer2b

Reefing newb
I have a 29gal tank that's been set up over a year now. I have, or at least think I have, 2 nassariu snails, 4 or 5 hermit crabs, 5 astrea snails, 1 cleaner shrimp and 1 peppermint shrimp. I have seen both my shrimps go around on the sand eating bits of this that so I include them in my clean up crew.
My question is I need to add more or something. I've got algae growing on the sand and on it's looking just plain dirty. While I had my diamond goby it wasn't a problem he kept it nice and clean. I can't seem to keep them in my tank though (I've had 2) so no more jumpers. What else should I add?

I couldn't find anything to clean mine good enough. Try vacuuming some sand out when you do a water change (Don't mess with the sand bed if it's a DSB) When I did my tank transfer I made up extra water to do a water change and washed all my old sand in the old water I took out. Help alot. Before I was having to scrape the glass ever couple days after cleaning I have to do it ever week and a half or so.

I got a yellow headed sleeper goby and he's really keeping it clean only prob with him is he likes to share the sand with all the corals.LOL

Got enough waterflow? I've got enough water flow that it just skims the top of the sand, but doesn't disturb it. I've got a small dead zone, but the rest of my sandbed is pretty clean.

I have the same problem with my BC 29. Snails generally won't stir the sand enough. If there is enough detritus in the sand and some event stirs it all up, an ammonia spike could result and kill everything in the tank. This has actually happened. About every month or so I will deep stir a few square inches of sand with a stick once a day for week to let detritus come and get filtered. Eventually I stir all the sand that isn't right under a rock. If you do this, monitor water quality.

I have a sand sifting starfish that does wonders in my tank, but not sure how they would work in a 29 gallon. Also i have a sea hare and he loves algae. Emerald crabs work great for algae also...hope this helps

i bought a sleeper golden head gobie and two monster red spotted hermits (Dardanus megistios)
they have cleaned up my sandbed dramatically in the last week or so
i bought the monster hermits because my puffer made a nightly meal of my red tips

You should get a few more nassarius snails and a starfish also. I wouldn't recommend a sand sifting star for a tank that size, but get either a brittle or serpent star. A sea cucumber will also help keep the sand clean.

The good news is that one of the fish stores moved a little closer to me. It's now only 22 miles instead of 40 to the nearest one. The bad is that they were out of Nassarius snails and emerald crabs. So I"ll have to go back for them. I did get a brittle star though and a few more turbo astrea snails.
Oh and I found both my Nassariu snails this morning when I moved the sand around a bit cleaning the algae. So they are still there.

I have what the LFS called a "dragon goby" he has a blueish green stripe on its face and red dots on the top of his head and black stripes on his body -- he picks at the sand drops the sand out the bottom and the other stuff floats - the fish love to eat at the floating stuff :-) he is so cool to watch - he also eats the green hair algae

Hey Reefer2b,

I've got about 10 nassarius snails in my 30g + 5 astrea + 5 cerith + 5 hermits.
I also have a MONSTER brittle (he was a baby when I got him.)
This has kept my sandbed pretty well turned and clean.

+1 Reefer and Bobby
My substrate doesn't stay clean enough for me either and I have tons of sand sifting cleaning creatures. I personally do not like the sugar sized sand and I know that crushed coral is too large. I am currently converting my large tank to a new substrate which is in between the two in size. That way I can vacuum the top inch to remove the surface detritus without sucking up sand into my vac.

Rather than looking for some organism to clean up the algae, try attacking the algae at its source and reduce nitrates. You may try a hang-on refugium with chaeto. You could also reduced your photo-period if your corals can handle it.

You should get a few more nassarius snails and a starfish also. I wouldn't recommend a sand sifting star for a tank that size, but get either a brittle or serpent star. A sea cucumber will also help keep the sand clean.

Bifferwine is right that is where I would start.
how much do you feed your tank?
is it algae our waste that we are dealing with? Phosphates?

Rather than looking for some organism to clean up the algae, try attacking the algae at its source and reduce nitrates. You may try a hang-on refugium with chaeto. You could also reduced your photo-period if your corals can handle it.

BIG +1

Thats what I did. My tank was starting to look pretty darn embarrassing. I had hair algae and turf algae growing up in several places. Was pissing me off.

First thing I did was replace my worn T5 tubes. They were so far out of spectrum, it was silly. My own fault but, lack of funds was preventing me from replacing them. Bit the bullet and got all new tubes.

Next thing I did was start washing all my frozen food in RO water before I put it in the tank. The little clouds of food dust did nothing to nourish my fish and EVERYTHING to pollute the water. If it's not a meaty chunk of something, it don't go in.

Then I reduced the total amount of food I put in the tank. I'm down to 1 little clown fish about 2" long in my 30g tank. I allow the frozen and WASHED in RO food to melt in the shot glass. Then I just suck up a tiny bit in a small syringe. TURN OFF THE PUMPS SO THE FOOD DOESN'T GET WASHED AROUND THE TANK. I'm not trying to cloud the tank with uneaten food -- we're FEEDING fish out of necessity here. I put ONE drop of meaty chunks in the tank for Nemo. If he eats ALL of it, I'll put my finger in the food glass and whatever sticks to my finger can go in the tank. Usually 4 or 6 more tiny pieces of food is all that will stick to a finger. Sometimes he eats all of it and sometimes a few pieces float away or settle to the sand bed where it is immediately devoured - fought over - by hungry crabs and snails.

I feed my acans and other LPS corals about once every 2 weeks now. Was feeding them a couple times a week. Again, reduction in total food put into the tank. I don't slap a turkey baster full of food in there and blast away all willy nilly at corals. I TARGET feed SPECIFIC and INDIVIDUAL polyps just a few bits of meaty chunks. Feed each polyp a few bits and move on to the next coral. Stick the turkey baster down in there into the center of the polyp and let gravity drain a few bits of food out of the turkey baster. Move on and don't let food slip out the end of the turkey baster between corals.

I don't even feed my yellow polyps anymore. Hate the damn things anyway. They are slowly shriveling up and becoming less and less of a "dandelion" field. Damn things grow like weeds if you feed them even once a week.

I have:
1 turbo snail about 1.5"
5 or 6 -- 1" astrea snails
3 red legged hermits
1 nessarius snail

And Nemo.

I change about 5 or 6 gallons every Sunday. I NEVER skip a week anymore. I'm RELIGIOUS about the weekly water changes. I may not get it done first thing in the morning, but I DO NOT sleep Sunday night until the tank water is changed. PERIOD.

I have no hair algae anymore. I do have one tiny spot about 2" across of some kinda weird turf algae that is rough and only grows about 1/4" tall. Nothing will eat it. It's getting to be less and less with each passing week.

My cheato in the CPR HOB refugium is growing less and less. I used to cut 1/2 of it out about every 2 months. Last month I decided not to cut any of it out. Fine by me. If I can reduce nutrient levels enough to keep my cheato from doubling every 2 months I am very happy. Maybe I can go 3 or 4 months until it needs cut out again? I use cheato like an oil filter on your car. It's there to filter out undesirable stuff. Then it gets thrown away. It's not there to grow and admire. It's there to filter out excess nutrients/pollutants and then be discarded.

My whole reefing philosophy has changed in the last couple months. It sure is fun to load the tank up and dump food in there. Watching button polyps snag floating food and curl up to eat. Golly it's fun to watch little fishies chase around the tank after bits of food here and there. I just loved watching my crabs snag meat off rocks and sand.

Not anymore. It's a tough world in my tank. :D The whole idea is that any nutrients introduced actually get TARGETED and nothing is left to float free and settle here or there. Nothing is left to get sucked into the refugium pump. Nothing is left uneaten. The crabs and snails fight over food. Thats exactly what I want. I want those little bastards so damn hungry they try and eat each other. I'm sick of the damn crabs because they don't actually EAT any algae until you start starving them to death. They are lazy and will happily eat meat if it's provided. They will tromp right over algae to get at the meat. It's not until the "steak" gets scarce and hard to come by that they start to eat the "salad" in the tank. I'm trying to starve my remaining hermits. The snails can stay as long as they keep the front glass somewhat polished. It's AMAZING how much better job they do when there isn't any food floating around. I still have to scrub my front glass, but it's not as heavy as it used to be. The reduction in nutrients has reduced the overall growth and the snails are hungry enough to actually spend time cruising the glass after a bite to eat instead of waiting on the rocks for a piece of mysis to land in their lap.

Concentrate on nutrient reduction and nutrient export.

Sorry for the ramble. I'm just so excited to see my tank shaping up and I want to share my methods and experiences with others. It's so hard to force myself to only feed what can be eaten and NO MORE. I tell ya..... it WORKS!!

:Cheers:

Back