Disaster!

Namor

Reefing newb
I basically live in Kansas City, MO, and with the recent winter storm, I just got my power back on! I lost all my fish (not that many, but still!) and some of my polyps seem to be on the verge of dying. A combination of temp and lack of water flow I'm sure. My mushrooms seem to be ok at this point, but I don't know if they will die off or not.
What a mess!

That really sucks. How long was your power off for? I'm sorry for your losses. Hopefully you can get your tank back into shape soon.

sorry for your loss, been there done that during summer storms here in st. louis area days of 95+ degrees plus the high humidity here blew my tank away. I only had pink star polyps and my maroon clown, and pink spotted goby left they were true fighters.

Thanks everyone, I'm kinda glad that I had just started out, and hadn't put any corals, or my clams in!

I lost power for a total of 2 very cold weeks (well, almost, more like a week and 4 days).

Holy crap! over a week without power?! Id send the bill to the electric company for all the fish and damages. Like they dont charge enough money for electricity, then they leave you stranded for over a week with out any at all. Thats why I'm going to go solar when I'm out of college and I buy my house. There are some nice setups out there for around 10 grand to run a big house on only solar, but you also have the grid for a backup.
Sorry for your loss, that really sucks! Don't get discouraged and quit though.

Sorry for your lost Namor.
I know power generators can be expensive but I recommend one to everyone in his hobby.Look in Craiglist or the paper for deals,I mean we invest so much in our tanks why not some kind of backup.

Hate to hear about your tank.
You can get a smaller portable generator that would at least run your tanks life support without breaking the bank.Since we dont get that kind of weather that much here,thats what I bought.

sorry to hear about your'e losses. that ice storm just barely missed me. I live a little over and hour southeast of tulsa. we just got a dusting of snow. I think parts of tulsa still doesn't have power. there were over 1 million people in the tulsa metro area without power the last count I heard. so much for going coral shopping in tulsa this weekend. everythings probaly dead.

oh my gosh that sucks!!!! im so sorry. i hate big storms like that.....hopefully you can stock up again soon enough...

I agree about the generator idea. I have a small one that only lasts about 8 hours, but, it is something. I have been looking into setting up a dual tank propane one outside my house in a locked cage that will run into my house and will last for a week or more with full house functioning.

I feel bad for you, nothing sucks worse than losing everything in your tank

-Doc

well, got my water quality back, and added my first fish, a six line wrasse! I heard that they are good for parasite control of snails on clams, so we'll see how he does.

Back