Disheartening Problems

I don't know too much about kenya trees... Are they a sort of filter feeder? Because if they are anything but a filter feeder, they wont do much for a sump right? Just be there to suck up nutrients from other corals.

The Kenya Tree Coral relies less on the symbiotic algae within it, and depends more on obtaining outside food. Microplankton, marine snow, and dissolved materials should make up the bulk of its diet.

So it is a type of filter feeder, but not really a type that would benefit your tank all that much...

From everything I have read, kenyas are not efficient nutrient exporters. Xenia are (supposedly) so I moved my xenia farm to my fuge. Too bad, I would have zero nutrients in my tank if the kenyas played that role :(

I know this is an old thread, buit since it is what I wish to talk about no need starting a new one. I have tried the things suggested here. I can not each to the back of my tank to chemical control. Now after an illnees my tank is so over run I am ready to throw the bathwater out..lol
It is so bad my poor brittle start whom I have had for over 4 years is trying to find a safe place and be comfy. My tank is INUNDATED with them.
I am desperate. I read a while back about actually baking the rock and starting over. I can't find the article anymore. I know it kills the good stuff, but I need to just break the thing down and start all over or throw it in the garbage.
If this technique works, what would you bake at and for how long?
please help!
Air~

Baking it would be a bad idea, the water in the rock would expand and either split them, or cause them to explode. Boiling your rock would be better, but it stinks and it would be hard to find a suitable container to boil them, since metal can be bad.

There's also 'cooking' your rock, which involves putting them in a rubbermaid bin out of all light, with saltwater. After awhile everything on them should be dead.

Anyway, there's no quick solution. Boiling your rock will kill everything, and you'd have to do your cycle all over again. If I had extra money around and it were me, I'd be tempted to setup a whole new tank and system (a 'budget' minded one, of course), transfer whatever livestock you have, and break down the old system temporarily. Completely empty the old tank of substrate and rock, put them away for cooking or boiling, or whatever is you're going to do, and wash the tank and all of the equipment with water and vinegar.

Then nuke the site from orbit; it's the only way to be sure!

I have done a bit more research and came across some threads on another forum which pretty much call it nuking the rock. They also said what you did aboutt he water evaporation. The tank is absolutely inefsted. It use to look so pretty before. I aint giving up, I just need to know where to go from here.
The thread suggested soaking the rock in bleach water 3 days, ro water 3 days, baking soda 3 days, fresh water again then left in the sun to basically kill the rock. I hate to take such drastic measures. But I am at a oint to where I have to.
I have 2 gorgeous pieces of marshall display rock...paid over 500 for them, but they sure dont look good covered in Majano and Aiptasia. Of course all other marshall, Fiji, everything is COVERED with them. I have a severe infestation.
I literally am desperate.
I guess I will try what one suggested on that forum and do the soak method. It can not get any worse at this point.

Why not just let the rocks sit under the hot sun for a week then scrub in rodi? Yes it Will be dead, but it would essentially be base rock.

I have found that my anthelia tree spreads way worse than my Kenya tree. I havent yet had to deal with a pest anemoneI hope I never do but I am curious to know how this works out for you in case that comes up so keep us informed.

I just pulled everything out yesterday and starting over. I was fighting a losing battle and no sense in making this hobby a frustration. i was infested with the things and no way killing one by one was possible. I can't reach every noook and cranny. So back to the beginning and do it right :)
Thanks for the advice all

Back