Display fuge design

InsanityPrawnBoy

Reefing newb
I really want to start my 55 gallon tank up after I get my 10 gallon finished with a light and a fish or something.

I had this really cool idea of a display fuge using an extra 20 gallon I have. I don't want to show the skimmer I have so I want to the connect the 20 gallon that will be a display fuge connect to the 10 that will be behind the 55 gallon tank. Like so,
100_4418.jpg

100_4420.jpg

But I need to know a few things first.
I want to know more about overflows and how they work(Drilled and HOB) So I know what I will go with for the 20 gallon(A HOB will be on the 55 gallon)
Do I need to drill for the water to go into the tank or what can I do for that?
I need a good return pump for this for preferably under $100 so any links or suggestion would be great.
Also water levels How should I plan those for a power outage?
I know alittle about sumps but this is fairly complex for what I am used to. if I can't do a 10 maybe use the 20 gallon and buy a 30 gallon tank for the DF on a $1 per gallon sale.

Any suggestions would be great! thank you

Dimensions:
55 Gallon: 48"(Long) x 12"(Wide) x 20"(Tall)
20 Gallon: 30" x 12" x 12"

Looks pretty cool. Remember the evaporation takes place from the return chamber so make that big enough so you don't have to keep adding water every couple hours if you aren't running an auto top off.
I don't think you have to drill for the water entering the tank, just put a pipe into the water so there's no splashing and you should be fine.
My return pump is from aquatraders, seems decent enough as a starter pump, with more money comes upgrading to a nice new super quiet pump.

Just drill a hole or two in the return line leading into the 55 from the sump, just under the water. When the power cuts out, the water draining from your 55 will drain into the 20, and into the sump. That 10 gallon sump needs to be able to handle that water from the 55.

So if the overflow teeth is two inches underwater, figure it draining 48x12.5x2 inches of water, which is just over 5 gallons. So you'll need that much 'empty space' in the sump in case of a power outage. Additionally, I believe you'll have some run off from the 20 gallon refugium, as it will drain to it's overflow teeth as well.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but in your picture you have the 20 gallon sitting next to the 55 gallon. Will the overflow in the 55 even work, due to the horizontal orientation of water travel? I have no idea, maybe someone else can chime in on this.

It would make more sense to me to have the 55 overflow drain into the sump (in the protein skimmer section), and the 20 gallon drain into the return section, or near it. The return pump will pump water up into both systems (this will require a larger pump), through a split line, like the pic below. This would also require that you drill holes in both return lines to prevent a back siphon.

All that being said, I think a 10 gallon sump would be too small.

idea.jpg

Last edited:
OK thank you.
I was talking with some people last night(forgot to update plans on here) and decided a 20 gallon sump is what I need. The sump I thought would look like this
100_4421.jpg

The issue with the overflow to the 20 what the travel but with the design that you put up(the one I determined last night basically) solves that. I have decided on that design and only need to know a few more things.

1. Is this overflow good? http://www.aquatraders.com/Continuous-Siphon-Overflow-Box-600-p/44011.htm

2. What kind of return pump should I use? any links? I want it for ~$100 to fit a budget.

Thank you so much for helping.

That overflow looks okay. For a return pump, check out the Rio HyperFlows. They are cheaper than some of the other brands, and are good. You want something rated slightly higher than your overflow.

I would go with the second one since you're going to be splitting the flow between the DT and DF. It's up to you whether you set up an ATO or not. You'll still have to fill up the ATO reservoir but, you won't have to do it as often as you would topping off your tank. All the evaporation will happen in your return pump section, that's why you want that section to be as big as possible that way there is less of a chance of running the section dry.

But what I am worried about is the loss of flow in the pump since it will be 4-5 feet covered I think maybe just 3 depending on how I set it up.

Otherwise for an ATO can I get a link to a design for making one or a link for buying one or maybe a estimated price of making one if it will be cheaper since this is a somewhat budget project ATM.

Thanks

If you're worried you could always go with an even bigger pump, and dial back the flow with a ball valve in between.

I can't help you too much with the ATO except to say that I have the JBJ ATO and I have yet to get it actually working right. I know a few other people have had success with it but, I would not recommend this one to you.

I was looking at some ATO and it seems risky and complicated. How can I tell when I need to add some water to the return?

Also for the DF I need to get a 6500k light. I have some random stock fixtures from tanks around. Could I make a cheap DIY for under $40? if not there is a light I can get 12000k for $40 that is 24" with extendable to 30"(would like a fitting one). Any links to cheap ones I can get?

When you fill up the sump, mark the water level line with a marker or something. When you do top-offs, just fill your return section with RO water till it gets to that line.

Back