ditching the canister, need advice

2XAl

Salt Addict
hi all, i need some help as I'm venturing into new territory. I have had an ongoing nitrate battle even with regular water changes and filter cleanings (fluval 305). i have a corner tank so good flow has always been a challenge too. i have done a lot of reading on the site about ditching the filter altogether and just sticking with water changes. i have plenty of light and my fish and corals are healthy, i just know theyre not doing as well as they could. approx once a month i get some cyano on the sand bed that i skim to get rid of. This morning i was doing the filter cleaning, then it wouldnt seal so it kept leaking, long story short it ends with me pitching the filter out the window, literally. i want to try running no filter to see if that was the cause of my nitrates, but I dont know how much live rock i have since the whole system was set up prior to me acquiring it. i did a 30% water change this morning and right now my nitrates are at 30. Any advice on what my next step should be, before i go down the wrong path? right now im running 3 powerheads and a HOB skimmer.

Thanks in advance.

Try doing water changes every two-three days until you are reading zero and see how fast it is actually rising. Pitching the canister may have solved your problem. Sorry, but I had to laugh at you throwing it out the window. :rofl: Are you running your protein skimmer only occasionally or all the time? You may need to replace one or two of your powerheads for stronger ones.

Hey Angie thanks for the reply. I assure you my wife would have been laughing if it weren't for the frustration on my face. I am running the skimmer 24/7, I figured it wouldn't hurt anything. That's seems like a good idea to see how fast the nitrates start rising, that should give me a good idea as to the filtration capacity of the LR I do have.

Our easiest tanks at the LFS are the ones that are using good skimmers and have plenty of flow. No mechanical filtration what so ever.
If you can post a picture of your tank,we'll be able to tell you weather or not you have enough rock.

my laptop isnt cooperating, heres an attempt from my tablet, sorry if the pic is huge...

http://s1152.photobucket.com/albums/p489/2xal/?action=view¤t=photo.jpg
2xal

Back