Dixie's 10gal mixed reef

282972_10150849316255267_924033049_a.jpg

I don't know! What's that green spiral thing on the rock too? Looks like you've got some interesting hitchhikers there! And in the pic with the starfish legs, it looks like there is a sponge or coral or something on the left side of the rock, but I can't really tell....

The green thing on the top right side of the rock is another coral. I forgot what the guy called it but he said it is mean so I hope it dies off. I will get a better picture when it opens up a little more.

Ok here is a list of fish that I would like to add to my tank after the cycle. I have to narrow it down to 3-4. I have researched them all on live aquaria. I just can't decide.

Firefish
tangaroa goby
barnacle blenny
zebra catalina goby
blue/green chromis
red scooter dragonet
wheelers shrimp goby
cave transparent goby
orange lined cardinal fish

I really like the sailfin/lawnmower blenny but they will out grow my tank. I love the way they look with their big eyes and mouth and the way the fins are. Does anyone know of something that looks similar that could go in the 10?

Which of these fish would mesh well together in my tank? I plan on getting more rock and adding corals and such.

Reasonably, you should narrow it down to just 2 fish, maybe three. But at three, you are really going to be pushing it and have some serious water quality issues. Best to leave more than two to a larger tank than a 10. And I can help you eliminate at least a few off your list:
1. Catalina - requires a cold-water tank and will slowly cook to death in a regular reef tank
2. chromis - they really need more swimming room than a 10 can provide, plus they like to school, so they would require you to grossly overstock your tank to be happy.
3. any dragonet - unless you are fairly experienced and able to get one that's already eating frozen, keeping a dragonet in a new 10 gallon set up is a virtual death sentence for the fish
4. cardinal - same reasons as the chromis

Also, keep in mind that you will only be able to keep one goby in a tiny tank. Of that stock list, I would look more carefully at the firefish, the blenny, and maybe one of the gobies. Hope that helps......

My husband gave me a really funny look when i started telling him we may need to get a reverse osmosis unit to make our own water......I think he is convinced i have lost my mind. :)

I just checked my tank params and I'm assuming it is starting to cycle.

Ammonia-.50ppm
NO2-.25ppm
NO3- 5.0ppm

How long will this take and how high will the levels get?? I have about 7 lbs dead rock and 3 live along with 17lbs of "live" sand.

My snail and corals seem happy as can be but I'm seeing less of my star fish. He is still alive but he's staying in his hole more.

Not sure exactly how high they get, i think they may hit the max on your strips/ drop tests. Takes about 2 - 6 weeks usually, but you have a tiny tank so it shouldnt be too long. when your Nitrites are zero you can do a water change and add you clean up crew :)

Sounds like cyano. New tanks are more prone to it. You can manually remove it for now. After the cycle, keeping nitrates and phosphates down is how to stop and prevent it. Also, what kind of power heads do you have?

Back