Dixie's 10gal mixed reef

if its a layer of white squishy stuff, it may just be sponge, but if that is the case you should be able to scrape it off. If its hard it may just be dying coraline

yeah methinks it was a sponge, i had one that looked like an old paper towel stuck to my rock, but then the emerald crabs ate it lol. Along with the pineapple sponge. Im starting to think my emeralds are on a algae strike lol, they eat anything but the evil bubbles.

I got four more pounds of dry rock and a background today. Looks much better.

SAM_6310.jpg

Ok so I'm really excited now!! Just checked my levels and it looks like my cycle is finished!

Ammonia-.25
no2-0
no3-5

Little fish, yes I plan on getting one if I can find one. I can't wait till pay day so I can get some critters!

I don't think you should have any ammonia or nitrites if the cycle is finished. That shows that something is producing more ammonia than your bacteria population is capable of handling right now.

I was told that when my nitrites return to 0 then it is safe to add things. I do already have a sea star and a snail in there and a little bit of fish food so that can be causing some ammonia. Payday is still a few days away so it still has some time to go down. I am thinking about getting a ball of cheato to put in there to absorb some of those nitrates.

Your cycle is finished when the ammonia and nitrite are zero, if you do have any living creatures in there I would remove them because ammonia is SUPER toxic, especially to inverts.

That being said, check the ammonia reading against another kit, they often go bad and give a low level of ammonia reading when there really isnt any.

The test brand i buy (nutrafin) the ammonia tests are pretty touchy. I left one out of the box overnight, and that was enough to mess it up. It may have just spoiled during shipping or while it was on the shelf. If you dont want to buy another set, perhaps ask your lfs to test it right quick

So I checked the levels again tonight and my ammonia went down to zero. My nitrites are also at zero and my nitrates are at 5ppm. Planning on doing a 20% water change wednesday when I have an opportunity to buy some distilled water.

Back