DIY Acrylic Tank

dankolle

Reefing newb
Hey guys,
Long time no posting! I have been very busy building a new house with my wife. Now that things are done, we are in the process of planning our furnishings. Both my wife and I really want to keep a ray, and have thought about building a dining room table / huge flat ray tank. Something like 3 feet wide by 6 feet long, seating for 10 - 12 people, and around 400 gallons of water, only rays and live sand. I am not worried about lighting and filtration yet, as I need to figure out how to build the tank first, then I can plan filtration, lighting, etc.

The catch is no-one makes the tank we are looking for, in the style we want for a dining room table. Short of hiring the ATM 'Tanked' guys, we thought of doing it ourselves.

So the long and the short of it is, has anyone built a substantial structure out of acrylic and had it hold up over time? I have seen a hand-full of youtube videos of people doing this, in the 100 / 200 gallon size and they stand behind it.

Sorry if this post is a little dis-jointed, it's 4:00AM and I have been upgrading an Exchange email server for the past 9 hours...little tired!

Thanks,
Dan

A tank that size and with those dimensions should probably be done by a professional so that you'll have a warranty on it. Imo

Back