DIY Algae Scrubber is operational

markrj

Reefing newb
Fired it up 2/21/12. "Seeded" it with some GHA from the back of the tank but pulling it off the glass with my hand and just spreading it along the top portion of the screen.

5 days of growth.

AlgaeScrubber1.jpg

AlgaeScrubber2.jpg

AlgaeScrubber3.jpg

I know my flow is not optimal for the width of screen (12") but I will be getting a lifereef overflow box soon. I am hoping that will give me the 420gph I need. I'm estimating my current flow rate at 250-300gph. The "left side" of the screen is not growing algae as fast as the "right side". The flow is only heavy across 2/3 of the screen. It makes it all the way across but it sort of "waves" across the screen.

Looks good, good luck with it! I had one for a while but in the end it just caused too much of a mess for me.

The amount of flow that the overflow gets is determined by the return pump. Are you also going to up grade the pump or can you open the return more? Otherwise you will still have the same flow across the screen.

The pump is a 950gph and is turned way down as to not overwhelm my 1" PVC overflow. If I turn the flow up even a little it will overflow the tank.

Back