DIY Auto TopOff???

NewPortRichey

Sushi Anyone????????????
Anyone got a good DIY auto topoff? I'm sure it's easy but I'm looking for something with pictures or illustrations. Thanks much.

Yes sammy had one on his thread but I couldn't remember the name. Looked pretty easy though

Neal made me one before he moved out. He got all the parts at Ace Hardware for less than $15 altogether. I will post pictures of it later. It was super easy to set up and works really well. It's basically a plastic toilet float connected to tubing that is connected to a reservoir that is placed higher up than the sump. So it's gravity fed, takes no electronics, and so far works like a charm. And oh yeah, did I mention it cost less than $15??? :)

damn, i thought i was beating a dead horse on this thread. no one had responded. i just ordered the JBJ auto top off. Ah well, atleast I got it on Ebay for $20 less than marinedepot.com. Thanks for the help Biffer, any chance you can still posts pics? I'm sure others would like to see/learn from it as well.

Newport,the JBJ ATO works good from what I here but people get annoyed of the beeping sound every time it comes on.Before I bought my ATO I research and Reef Fanatic ATO got rave review for being inexpensive and works flawlessly.I like the idea of having two float switch for added safety.Which ever you get don't forget the aqualifter pump and airline tubing.

Only go with a gravity fed if you don't mine suspending a container of water higher than the sump.

Reef Fanatic Level Controller w/2 Float Switches: Premium Aquatics

Sorry!!! I didn't see this thread! Looks like a little late but here it is anyways... I just bough the float switch in ebay, used an old air pump and a 2G salt bucket.
ATO.jpg

If I were to do that, I would modify it so that it uses a 5 or 12 volt DC relay to switch the 120 V AC pump. I know its more complicated but it would keep the 120 further away from the main tank.

Brian

Here is my DIY ATO.

Okay. Before we start the DIY ATO lesson, I want to share some inspirational words with you all that I strive to live by day to day.

b5565b4799a2.jpg

Now then. Here are the reservoirs for my ATO. Two 6-gallon water jugs.

101607001.jpg

They are connected by irrigation tubing and a Y joint/thingy. You can find these parts at Lowe's/Home Depot/Ace. The outputs were also found in the irrigation section. It's just an adaptor that fits the irrigation line. Neal drilled holes in the jugs and siliconed in the adaptors.

101607002.jpg

Here is the irrigation line going to my sump. It is connected to a toilet float. Found in the plumbing department. Be sure to buy a float that is ALL plastic, no metal parts!

101607004.jpg

Here is a picture of the float in the return section of my sump.

101607003.jpg

Here is the irrigation line that was used. Oh, and that's my newest tattoo. Eight starfish going around my wrist. EAT IT, ADRASTOS!

101607006.jpg

When I need to refill the ATO, I just run the line from my RODI unit into one of the jugs. Since the two jugs are connected by the Y irrigation line, one automatically refills the other.

101607007.jpg

Since this is a gravity fed ATO, you need to be sure your jugs are positioned HIGHER than the sump.

Total cost for parts, not including the two jugs: $15.

Back