DIY calcium

bobby

I like to do bad things.
I had some people ask me last night in chat on how to make the calcium from Randy's recipe. Well the recipe is with driveway heat you use 2 cups same with other palleted calcium cloride to 1 gallon of ro water, or with dow flakes you use 2 1/2 cups to one gallon of ro water. I have been useing this recipe for a little while now and it works great.

WARNING WHAT EVER YOU DO PLEASE MARK THE BOTTLE ITS IN SO YOU DONT MISTAKE IT FOR WATER AND OVER DOSE YOUR TANK.

Biff they probably dont sell the driveway heat near you, however, I think dow flakes is used on farms and such. I do know its used all year round so you might be able to find it at your farm store or home inprovement store.

Here is the link to the calculater to tell you how much calcium to add, I have fallowed it and it always come up shy of what I want. I think he did that to be on the safe side to not over add to your tank, however its a very good calculater to go by.Reef Chemistry Calculator

Here is another link were Randy talks about the additives for all three not just calcium. I have never tried all three just the calcium, because I didnt have a problem anywere else except with calcium. An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Well to end me thread here this DIY calcium has worked wounderfully for me and is alot cheaper than buying the c-balance and others on the market. I was using a calcium that cost 10.00 and lasted about 2 months, with this DIY calcium I spend 6.99 and I estimate it to last 2 years or more. IMHO it's a ver good additive.

I have seen that before, but my only problem is I hate ordering stuff. After I buy it I want it now.LOL But looks like a good site.

i have been using the alkalinity part for allmost a month. it works great.

i have had the same problem with the calculator. i have to dose more than required to get the results that i want. i think it said to use 2.5 teaspoons to raise my alk from 9 to 11. but i had to dose allmost 1/4 of a cup to get it there. my just be my tank, not sure though. i'm by no means a reef chemistry expert.

Back