DIY Cheap Tank Chiller

1geo

Reefing newb
With summer coming on I was looking for a chiller and got sticker shock at the prices. While looking at my local paper's classified ads I noticed a lot of wine coolers for sale relatively cheap, under $50. There has to be a way to modify a wine cooler to chill the tank water. Possibly drill some holes in the side and put a set of coils, or a lot of plastic tubing, inside and hook them up to a low flow pump from and to the tank. A temperature controller could be hooked up to the pump to have an automatic operation. Any thoughts? Geo. :question:

Reefrookie said someone has done this before. It would sure be helpful to read what they did. I can buy a local used wine cooler for $50. A small dosing pump, which I just bought, costs about $18. The controller would cost about $55. Tubing and connectors another $10. If it all worked and I see no reason why it shouldn't, the cost would be under $140 for an auto cooling system. If you bought a dual controller you would have a complete heater/chiller system. Wine coolers get into the 40 degree range since some wines are best served at 49 degrees F. So the only question is how much tubing would you put in the cooler and how fast a pump would you use. The dosing pump I have will deliver 3.5 gal per hour. Will it deliver the enough water to make a difference? Will it keep the water in the cooler long enough for adequate heat exchange? Should one use stainless tubing or is plastic tubing adequate? If someone has worked out these problems it sure would be nice to hear about it. Geo.

Back