DIY Clam mounting help

Altohombre

The Tennis Pro Reefer
The Teardrop Maxima I have in the sand keeps falling over to one side. It is clearly having an issue attaching its foot in the 2.5" sandbed and I want to add something under it. Unfortunately I don't have any flat pieces of rock to add under the clam and was wondering if anything in my house could work. The things that have come to mind are a piece of acrylic from my glass canopy I used or a large bottle cap from maybe a pickle jar. Has anyone tried anything with success other than putting it on LR?

I actually came up with a slightly different idea that seems to have worked. Instead of worrying about the foot of the clam attaching to something under the substrate I used a clear acrylic piece on each side of the clam sticking straight up so that it looked like like |{}| with the {} being the clam. So far it seems to be keeping the clam from falling over to the left. With a little sand piled next to it you really don't notice the acrylic much. I will update this tomorrow.

Ceramic tile. They sell them eperately at hardware stores or flooring stores. Used to use them as cheap temporary fragging disks. Tey come in sizes fron 1/2 '"square and up to 12" square.

Last edited:
The setup I did is working flawlessly. I don't see a need to change it right now unless you tell me there is some need for their foot to grasp something for their life longevity.

The main reason a clam needs to stand up is light. That is their main source of energy and food. They absorb (if you will) light through their mantle. So if all of the mantle is not fully exposed to light the clam is not getting as much light as it could. Make sure your support is not going to prevent the clam from opening and closing it's shell. A clam may live for years on it's side but may be more healthy if it were allowed to receive more light. Also the bottom of the clam where the "foot" is, is a weak spot that predators can enter - like pyamid snail or even crabs could make a snack out of the flesh, thus killing the clam. Also maximas require alot of light - what kind of lights are you running? Most people put the maximas on the rock work because they prefer to attach themselves to rock and because that gets them higher up in the tank thus getting more intense light. Is it a blue, green or golden? If it is a golden then it requires less light than a blue or green but still it will love light. Remember it is frustrating when a clam moves around but they are doing this because for some reason they are not happy (ie. not enough light, too much flow etc). Usually (not always) they will wind up dead if they are not happy.

hope this helps - would love to see pics if you get a chance

It is a golden. It has been doing well so far. I am running the Nova Extreme Pro T5's. Two of the actinics have been upgraded to a UV Super Actinic and a UV 75.25.

Back