DIY cooling fans

blazk

Reefing newb
Thought i would show you what i have done for an alternative cooling system for your tank. Hope it all makes sense :)

diycooling.jpg

Here is what the finshed product looks like.
diyfans.JPG

tankfull.JPG

When it gets cold turn them off by the switches or at the unplug. If it gets warm switch only 2 on. If it gets hot turn both sets of fans on. Works well on my tank keeps it at a nice 25-27 degreese celcius on the hottest of days. Total cost for me was around $30 as i already had a spare 12V AC adaptor from and old modem, jig saw, and soldering iron.
Hope this helps some people out.

blazk, on your heater thread if you get one big heater and a two stage temp controller you can plug the fans into the chiller port and the heater into the heater port and you can let the controller take care of the on and off

Blazk, that's a nice little instruction sheet. Very cool.

I set my fans up like this. They blow the hot air across the top of the tank which cools the water and cools the T5 lamps. And the fans are hooked up to a timer to come on for a couple hours twice a day. If I leave them on they cool the water too much. Actually, since my house is temp controlled I usually only need one fan running. Running two dropped my temps 10 degrees!

417480128_4HgRZ-L.jpg

blazk, on your heater thread if you get one big heater and a two stage temp controller you can plug the fans into the chiller port and the heater into the heater port and you can let the controller take care of the on and off
Exactly, but I always suggest 2 smaller heaters instead of 1 bigger 1.
For example, you can set the controller to turn the heaters on if the temp drops below 78 and also have it set so if the temp rises to 80, the fans will kick on. This adds alot of stability to the system.

Also, for the most efficient cooling, it's best to have the fans blowing air across the water and not down at it.

might have to rethink my design...thanks for the input guys. I dont have a canopy as i have the light in the way...i could put the fans over the sump if you think that would be better than on the tank itself ?

You'll get about the same effect with having the fans blowing across your sump.Either way is going to cool the water.
Might even be a little more effective since warm water rises.And the overflow pulls the warmer off the surface of the display.

Might even be a little more effective since warm water rises.And the overflow pulls the warmer off the surface of the display.

Off the main tank?
Not sure how i would go about making the fans blow across the water, the space between the light and the water isnt very much. Some kind of bracketing system maybe :\

Last edited:
During the summer.I just set a small fan in my stand,so the the air is directed toward my sump.All youre trying to do is get the warmer air away from the water.So the air circulation does that by just blowing across and around the sump.
You could actually rig up a bracket so that your fans are blowing across the sump.That would get off your display tank,and still be a benefit to the entire system.

Well i didnt really have to mod anything. i just tilted them and they fit against my light and fitted on the lip of the tank so they cant move. Here are some pictures...
fan1.JPG

fan2.JPG

fan3.JPG

I can feel the hot air coming off the tank. Good idea Blazk. If i can be bothered i will take some of the bottom off the perspex.

as long as it takes to get the water cooled to the temp you want it, thats why a dual stage temp controller will be great for you

yer but they have american power sockets...useless for me in Australia. I need to find an Australian seller that sells something similar...any ideas?

It's just an industrial 2 stage ETC (Electronic Temp Controller). You may not be able to find the Ranco brand, but I'm sure there are Aussie versions.

i guess i could do that too... be alot easier and faster to get one from here...just not sure where i would start.

Back