DIY Internal overflow?

Charliegrs

Reefing newb
I would really like to not have the hassle of a HOB overflow, and I know you can buy aquariums with internal overflows already built in. However my sis has an aquarium that Im planning on using, but it does not have an overflow. So I was thinking of trying to fabricate an internal. My idea is to use acrylic and make a basic box shaped overflow with baffles, then cement/and or silicone it to the tank. Then drill holes in the bottom for returns etc. Something like the picture below. Or better yet, does any place sell already made interal overflows? I couldnt find anything online. And if I do make my own, does anyone know if Blue colored acrylic is available?

Attachments

• aquarium.jpg
    aquarium.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 22,802
I would look into getting some PVC sheets. They are a bit easier to work with than acrylic sheets.

I have only seen them in Gray and white.

After a while, you wont even see the color because it will be covered in coraline.

I would also drill the holes first. Make sure the bottom isnt tempered though. There is a way, but I am not sure of how exactly.

PVC sheets? I didnt even know PVC came in sheets. Whenever I think of PVC I think of the pipes. But if its easier to work with then I might go with that. I can then maybe cover it with some blue colored acrylic. I agree, coraline would probably grow on it in no time but until then it sounds like it would be such an eyesore. And I agree drilling the holes before installing the overflow makes more sense.

acrylic comes in many colors and is very easy to heat bend, if you go that way let me know and I can tell you how.
Have you considered doing a coast to coast overflow? the holes are drilled in the back glass up high and leaves the bottom of the tank open

No problem, they have a pretty detailed directions, and I believe even a tutorial video showing the install.

If you decide to drill the bottom of the tank, contact the tank manufacturer first and make sure the bottom isn't tempered glass. Most tanks have tempered glass bottoms and can not be drilled.

Back