DIY LED lights?

Should get it next week some time.

If I am corect, that LED is a 10 watt LED? That is gonna be bright. It also might be hard to find a driver that will be able to handle more than a couple of them. But your husband know electronics right? If I recall correctly.

Danggit, sitting in a dark room while staring at a laptop monitor plays tricks...I guess I mean to say "I don't know what a driver is",...which actually, makes more sense to me now rather than "divider".

Well, its not a divider its a driver :mrgreen:

Basically, LEDs have a specific current or Amps that they are optimized for. If you just put voltage across them, the current could fluctuate a bit causing the brightness to vary. A driver puts a constant current through it and the brightness is more constant.

Hehehe...yeah....after my husband corrected me and said "Um, he said "Driver", not divider!", he said he's got it figured out :) See?? It just keeps him interested in the hobby ;)

Too bad I have no way to get par readings. That would be the ultimate test. They're expensive, aren't they? I don't even know what they're called to google them.

Thats my issue. How many 1w LED's does it take to put out X lumens?

I am strongly considering an LED fixture for a pico. But I have no idea how to determine if I'm putting on so much light that the corals will turn to charred ashes - or if I'm not putting in enough light and they would slowly wither away.

Is there some rule of thumb for lumens or PAR in a reef?

Is there some rule of thumb for lumens or PAR in a reef?

I'm sure there is, somewhere. I'm sure someone will share :)

My venture into DIY LED might not be for everyone. I personally would not be confident in sticking a nem under LED or a clam for that matter. Hence why I'm really only going to go after the hardy mushrooms. Also, I have a 125g, and most of the DIY LED's I've been seeing are for people who have reefs in tanks smaller than 75g.

The spec sheets for the LEDs tell you how many lumens they put out. But I believe that is different than PAR. Since PAR is a measurement of usable light for photosynthesis. Where as lumens I believe is a measure of visable light.

Also, wonton, you are using an LED that is more powerful than the Cree's so the deepness of the 125 shouldnt be that much of a problem.

I'm totally DIY guy. Where do I get the lights in the correct spectrum? Where do I get the heat sinks and the drivers?

Need some links if ya got 'em. :Cheers:

If you're getting P7's like me, I got the best deal so far at dealextreme.com (just google p7 LED and find the link for dealextreme (expect long wait for your product since it's coming from hong kong, but free shipping). I'll let you know how mine turns out (hopefully it's not crap).

heatsinkusa.com has good prices, according to the RC led build thread. He has links in his build, too.

I've had a hard time finding exact specs for the P7's. I believe they came out not too long ago, but definitely stronger than cree's. My cousin's a DIY LED flashlight fanatic, and filled me in on the latest in LED, and directed me towards p7's.

Well................I'm a bit annoyed because I thought they would either leave it at the door, or put it in the large mailbox (to which they leave the key in my mailbox to get it)....but apparently, it was too big, and they couldn't just leave it at the door. I was home ALL day, but unfortunately, I do not hear people at the door cuz I'm in the basement usually, and the dogs did not bark. Personally, I think the mailman just didn't want to knock at my door, and automatically left the slip in my mailbox. So. I will probably either hang out upstairs tomorrow, or point mywebcam at the front door so I can keep an eye out LOL Worse case, I can pick it up at the post office on wednesday, which is reefing times, is a CENTURY!

Back