DIY LED trial run

nvm I just found some posts that said that Lumens can not be converted to PAR.... Looks like your just going to have to get that PAR meter or w/e to truly know.

I know people always keep referring to "watts per gallon" but from some of the stuff I've read, it's not an accurate measurement anymore. I'm very very dim (pun intended) when it comes to things from electricity (as bj would tell you :D ) to lights (like talks about watts, lumens, kelvin...stuff like that). I can understand bits of it, but not as a whole picture. This article might be a good read for you:

Aquarium Lighting; Kelvin, Nanometers, PAR, Bulb, Watt, MH, LED, light basics.

I've read it, and kinda sorta get it. I"m hoping to get my hands on that inexpensive PAR meter to get readings inside the tank once I put in my LEDS.

On another note, I ordered 3 more LEDs. My plan for this trial is to see how far apart we would need to set our LEDs for it to spread the light evenly...hence, our initial count of 20+ LEDs might not be accurate. We might need less, judging by what we saw from this one led bulb. Plus we want to wire it to a power supply other than a battery, so we can see its true potential. It will probably be brighter once we use an actual power supply.

EDIT: And yes, there is more light dispersal once light hits water, so you have to make up for it by adding more lights. We shall see :)

I am very interested in this thread ;)

After seeing your postings and results I had started researching LED fixtures.

Theres seems to be a lot of applications where LEDs are being used. Cars, home lighting and the list goes on.

I am looking forwared to see your set up turns out. I also found that transformer plugs, 120v to 12 volt are pretty cheap.

We ordered another 3 LEDs. We will be testing how far apart we can make them in order to get a good spread. Then we'll be able to decide how many we will really need. I love playing with our single-bulb unit now :D I keep shining it over the tank. The fish seem to really respond to it, swimming in its glow!

Thats awesome, I have been trying to figure out if I want to invest in the LEDs. I just sent my tank up a month ago and forked out $900 for my lights. They are good and LFS says I can keep anything but the heat is insane. I started mine out 7in of the tank, now they are at 18in and still heating the tank, just not as much.

Hard to tell if their lumens readings are total or each LED. If it's total, then it's no good, considering my ONE LED bulb puts out 900 lumens...and I'm going to be using anywhere from 10-15 bulbs.

I can't find specs on what specific LED bulb they're using. Each one of the 6ft bulbs house 420 bulbs. And if all those bulbs put out just that 2400 lumens they advertise, mine is sill more efficient.

Today's delivery day! My LEDs are in Sterling, VA! But, if it's like last time, they will drop off a note in my mailbox saying I have to pick it up tomorrow at my local post office. :grumble:

HYep....they're here...TOO BAD I have to pick them up at the post office tomorrow! It sucks, cuz they NEVER knock on my door! They just automatically mark me as "not home" and leave me a pick up notice. I understand the need for a signature, but I was home. They could've dropped it off. Oh well. We'll pick it up tomorrow :)

That sucks I know how that goes? I recieved in twenty to thirty packages a week. Most are curbside drops, but the ones that need signatures always end up at the office.

That sucks for having to pick them up tomorrow! I really hope this works out for you! If it does, I think you and your hubby can have a little side job! I know I would be interested in a set!

Picked 'em up today :) So I'm more forgiving now that I have my new toy LOL Purty liiiiiiiights :)

Dunno how up we are to making these en mass, Leslee LOL But who knows ;) Before I could think about making them for people, I'd have to wait a year to see how well mine does. I'd hate for people with hard core reefs to use these and get a big ole FAIL.

Here you go, BJ :D

DSC05451.jpg

Just a shot of the 3 new leds next to the original one. This weekend should be fun!

I think you are gonna have great success with them. Some if not all the fixtures I have seen are running Cree Bulbs, I am not sure though if they are exact to yours.

Back