DIY LED trial run

The concern a few people had at RC was a possible spotlight effect, which would mean I would need more bulbs than with crees...but from my observation,the spread is so wide, that the spotlight effect occurs before it hits the water from the distance I set it at. I can even afford to put the lights higher up if I wanted to and still not worry about losing light at the bottom (all this just visual observation, which means nothing without actual readings)

those look great now you just need a par meter to test the par of them

You offering to buy me one? :D :D :D

Hubby's playing with the lights now...doing some tests. He refuses to let me take a pic (he says "It's like you taking my picture before I'm 100% dressed" Hehehhee)

Really? The I saw online for like $100 reads lux not par, so if yours reads par, that would've been nice to have :)

Who's Hannna?

If you're an electronics person, bear with me if I state wrong terminology. BJ will atest I know nothing about electronics, so he's slowly teaching me stuff. If i state incorrect things, please correct me so I can learn.

Lots of pics:

Using our handy dandy Electronic Snap Kit, we ran some tests. We powered it using an old AC Adaptor. The AC adaptor actually puts out 13.84v (according to our volt meter; the adaptor itself says it puts out ouly 9v DC)
DSC05496.jpg

When turned on, we get this:
DSC05497.jpg

Above the tank, before turning on the 4 LEDs (yes, I have a bit of hair algae from when the rock was in my 45g):
DSC05499.jpg

DSC05502.jpg

AFTER we turn on the lights:

DSC05500.jpg

DSC05501.jpg

Again, this is just 4 LEDs right now, and it's in broad daylight in the house, and the tank has no back to it ;).

Looks really bright!!!

Next step is to space them out a bit more and see when you start noticing a spot light effect.

Also, are you able to get a current reading through the LEDs with your meter? Being able to do that would help you fine tune a resistor to get as close to the 30mA ideal current that they suggest.

Interesting Wonton.Again,how much did each bulb cost?

I do agree with Daugherty.Without a PAR meter,how will you know how far apart to space them and how many you will need.Chop,chop now,my built is coming up soon and I need lighting.That was a joke,hehe.

Heheheh...I've always said I have no idea what I'm up against, w/o a par meter :) Just guess work. I'm going to see if some local university will let me borrow one :D

Each bulb is normally $15 or so, but if you buy 3+, price can go down as low as $13/bulb.

Heheheh...I've always said I have no idea what I'm up against, w/o a par meter :) Just guess work. I'm going to see if some local university will let me borrow one :D

Each bulb is normally $15 or so, but if you buy 3+, price can go down as low as $13/bulb.

Or take your setup to the university to have it tested?

But honestly, a lux measurement would be better than nothing.

That wal wart probably reads less voltage if you measure it while its under load. I'd be worried about the longevity of my expensive LED's running them with out a proper driver even for a bit considering they are 10w LED's.

Back