DIY lighting project

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
Okay, I can't find a lighting system that fits or that I can afford so I'm going to build my own over the next several months as funds become available. Its will be a combination t5 and LED system. My supply list as of now will be:

1/4" Plywood, 48.5" x 13"
1"x 2" Poplar stringers (stop ply from warping)
3 x 48" Stunner LED strips. Blue, Blue/white, and blue/magenta
1 x 12" Stunner Blue (moonlight)
1 x 12" Stunner blue/magenta
12 Stunner reflectors
2 x 48" t5 HO retrofit kit. 10,000k and Blue in each
2 x 3" rolls metallic duct tape. Not "Duck" tape you fix stuff with, but actual aluminum duct repair tape.

I'm planning on using the ply as a shelf to mount the lights to on the underside. The underside will be fully covered with the aluminum duct tape to act as a reflector. (If you have used this stuff, you know it can be polished to a mirror finish!) t5 units will be mounted outboard with the LEDs mounted in the center.

In order to keep costs down I will be using some of my current equipment and will shop for the lowest prices I can find on other items. Even some scrap will be used in the case of the wooden parts. I'll post up prices and photos as this project progresses. Its going to take several months since funds will be tight. I'll keep ya posted though!

Just curious, why would I need one? The LEDs don't get hot and there is an air gap between the bulb and the board surface. The LEDs use a plug in transformer that hasn't heated up yet and the ballasts for the t5's will be in the open air. If I need one I can sure design one!

I would suggest using treated plywood. This will help prevent mold from growing and the wood from rotting since this will be in close proximity to water.

Well, time for an update. Due to time constraints and a dead t5 unit, I have opted to go a different route.

Not exactly DIY but.....

I ordered 2 of the Tao dimmable 120w LED fixtures. Once mounted I am adding 2 48" stunners. Stunners will come on as Noon day sun, 11am - 2pm. Blues on at sun up through sun set, whites on at 10 am till 6 pm. I'm also going to use my 12" blue stunner as a moon light, on at 10pm off at 4 am. I'm also going to mount the stunner magenta/blue UNDER the center brace. On and off with the actinics.

Too much light? Overkill? Not DIY anymore I guess huh?

Back