DIY Liquid Garlic

ltkenbo

Reefing newb
Recently I started a thread about ich in my tank and was discussing and reading up on the use of garlic to boost fish health. Anyways since I had a hard time finding garlic extract and I am in a small town where the fish store here is not that good, I thought I would make a short write up about how to make liquid garlic to soak your fish food in. It's really easy.

Time: 10 Minutes
Cost: $2

Items Required:
Garlic Cloves
garlic.jpg

Garlic Press

garlic_press1232399208.jpg

Food Processor (You don't have to have this but it will work better)

8258579-main_Full.jpg

Small Container

organizeeverything1_2081_3890866522

Tea Strainer (Or some type of fine strainer)

London%20Tea%20Strainer.jpg

First pull the garlic cloves apart and mince several cloves into a food processor using the garlic press. How much you use depends on how much you want to make. Next add a small amount of RO/DI water. Only add a little bit, just not too much or the mixture will be to dilute. I would say probably like 2 Tbsp of water for every clove you mince. Now run the food processor for several seconds to blend and mix it up really well. Next pour the mixture through a tea strainer and into your container to remove the garlic pieces. Voila, you have liquid garlic. I keep mine in the fridge and whenever I feed the fish I add a very small amount in a cup with a tiny bit of tank water to soak the food in. It's very strong so you probably don't need much.

Like I said, you could use other tools other than the ones above but this is just the way I did it. Same with the mixtures, experiment with the ratio of water to garlic until you find something that works best for you. Garlic is cheap and this works great.

You like the Iguana trick...did you ever get the vitamin C? I like the garlic idea, did you try the spice section at the gracery store? My wife gets garlic in garlic juice I guess, it's another way I was thinking of. Thanks for the post!

Great tip. I went and bought my first garlic extract yesterday, and it cost me $20.00. Next time I'm making my own!!! Thanks.

Be careful with using anything thats not pure garlic. The powder have other additives in them that might harm your aquarium.

You can also buy garlic tablets from your pharmacy (vitamin) section. These have pure garlic oil in them.

When you thaw out and rinse the frozen food, do you squeeze out the rinse water so the garlic and vitamins can soak up in the food? Otherwise it will not get in the food. That seems to work for me

I don't usually rinse my food. I cut several pieces off, put them in a cup, and add a little bit of tank water to help that them, and if I am using the garlic I will add it also. Sometimes I will soak them in the garlic solution ahead of time and refreeze.

Back