DIY Protein Skimmer

So pump the water in the bottom and let it fill up the out port at the top? What about having the current of the water flowing against the bubbles? Does it really matter?

Also, crazy and brave are really are pretty close to the same thing;)

That is the way a standard skimmer works, there are many different styles that work in different ways. The key is to have a long contact time with the air and water. Check out Precision Marine skimmers for the mixing box style.
Also check out this link for a sump setup.
Melevsreef.com | Acrylic Sumps & Refugiums

Crazy or Brave??? How about crazy brave!!! Anyone letting water "spill out" of their tank into another open tank underneath the main tank? :)

I am in the process of building my sump system with a self priming siphon overflow. This is all fine as I have found some great guides online to follow. I understand that if the pump fails the overflow will stop flowing and then start again when power is returned. My problem is what if this happens the other way around. What if the overflow stops flowing or becomes blocked? The pump will over flow the main tank all over the floor. Any solutions or ideas?

I am in the process of building my sump system with a self priming siphon overflow. This is all fine as I have found some great guides online to follow. I understand that if the pump fails the overflow will stop flowing and then start again when power is returned. My problem is what if this happens the other way around. What if the overflow stops flowing or becomes blocked? The pump will over flow the main tank all over the floor. Any solutions or ideas?

A built in overflow inside your main display.

You don't need a built in overflow inside the display -- an overflow box works the same way.

The pump can only return the water that the overflow sends it. If the overflow stops, then water stops flowing through the sump, and the return pump can only return the water that is left in the last chamber of the sump. When you set the sump up, you draw a line with a Sharpie in this section to mark where the water level should be kept at. This is where you will replace evaporated water, and if something happens to the overflow, then the amount of water returned by the pump is small, and not enough to overflow the tank. Because when you set the system up, you will test it both ways, turning off the pump and stopping the overflow, to make sure you have left enough space in both the sump and the main tank to compensate for that extra water volume.

You don't need a built in overflow inside the display -- an overflow box works the same way.

The pump can only return the water that the overflow sends it. If the overflow stops, then water stops flowing through the sump, and the return pump can only return the water that is left in the last chamber of the sump. When you set the sump up, you draw a line with a Sharpie in this section to mark where the water level should be kept at. This is where you will replace evaporated water, and if something happens to the overflow, then the amount of water returned by the pump is small, and not enough to overflow the tank. Because when you set the system up, you will test it both ways, turning off the pump and stopping the overflow, to make sure you have left enough space in both the sump and the main tank to compensate for that extra water volume.

Thanks so much. You all always offer great help and advice.
I am going to build this type system to get the water to the sump.
Please let me know what you think and if it will work with what you say.

I build a prototype version that siphons perfectly but when the water level lowered, it stopped and would not start when I added more water. This is the problem I fear. Thanks for the help and please let me know if a PVS design will work with your reconmondation.

Last edited:
Sucess!!! I have finally figured out how to build a self starting, ONLY PVC, siphon driven over flow! I tested it over and over again buy stopping the pump and each time it started right up again. I feel totally awesome about being able to build this from about 5 dollars in PVC from Home Depot. Thakns for all the help.
Now back to the subject of getting this skimmer to work:)

Attachments

• overflow.jpg
    overflow.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 4,328
Back