DIY Protein Skimmer

kbuser92

Breeder
Here's the deal. I'm not spending $150 on a skimmer for my tank, so I need help making one. My options are the airstone type or a venturi, but my dilemma is making one.

I understand how the old fashion ones work, but I think the venturii (?) are the preferred method and the problem is that I just don't understand how they work. Can somebody explain one and help me build an in-tank version? Or am I better off just building a simple airstone design?

P.S. None of the google images helped explain anything, I need sentences and explanations! I'm lost!

Yeah, can you email them to me? I could probably mod it a little to fit my needs, I just dont understand what I found.

e-mail me with any questions i have seen the in tank ones too so im sure i can help you out with it cuz i have done diy skimmer sump and hob over flow

here it is

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 1,735
A venturi is actually a very simple device....it has water pulled through it....there is a constriction in the venturi throat to cause increased suction beyond that constriction....there is a separate tube coming into that low pressure area where it adds air to the low pressure area...thus, you get air dispersed throughout the water....You put the venturi in the pump suction line...if a needlewheel or mesh mod is used that further "chops" the air bubbles.....That's a good thing.....

So for a venturi, I would use a pump to push water through, say a 4"x2"dia pvc with a 2-.75" adapter, 2"x.75"dia, .75"-2" adapter, 2"x2"dia and a cup? Then a fitting in the 4"x2" sectipn to fasten an airhose and pump to? Then where does the water come out?

Emmet, I was thinking even more basic than that, otherwise same thing. :)

And "I" comes before "E" except in the frickin word "protein". I know, dunno why I mispelled it.

i didnt think it got any easier then that and i was never good at spelling lol but if you look around you can find pump that put the air in with out the need for a air pump

and with your u will need the water to come out before the bottle neck the foam should be the only thing going u want going up the bottle neck

So just add a little spout off the side of the adaptor? Which airline would I use? Into the actual skimmer base or into the pipe from the pump?

Back