DIY Refugium question

DJ_Z

Reefing newb
Hi all, I've actually read a couple threads on this subject but I had one thing I wasn't quite sure about.

It seems pretty easy to turn a hang-on filter into a refugium. And While I originally used an Emperor 400 for filtration on my 40g reef, I have upgraded to a protein skimmer, additional live rock, sand, and two powerbeads for flow. So the filter now isn't really the source of, well, most filtration. However, turning it into a refugium seems like a great idea both to improve water quality as well as reduce feeding requirements by seeding copepods and other small inverts.

But is it really just a matter of removing the filer media and adding live rock and/or sand with a little algae? If so, I have basically had a refugium for three months now preparing.

I honestly wouldnt waste my time with it. It seems like a waste of electric power for not much filtration imho. I know some do it when dosing carbon and some fir a refufiym, but your using ten ounces of water, 1/2 lb of lr with a spit of micro algae for an impact on 40g reef? Doesnt seem very functional to me.

Back