DIY Refugium/Sump

Pysiek

Reefing newb
I have used a circular saw to cut my acrylic. Edges come out straight but have to clean them to use weld-on #4. I used a router and then messed up all edges that have to be joined together. Now they are not perfectly straight. Is there any other way to make the edges straight as possible?

weldon #16 should arrive today and I will start to put the refugium/sump together. Will post pictures soon :-)

if you want to make the edges straight they easyest way of doing it is to use a table saw than use a 100 gr sand paper block to sand a little bit than glue.

if you want to make the edges straight they easyest way of doing it is to use a table saw than use a 100 gr sand paper block to sand a little bit than glue.
It looks like I will have to cut of the uneven edges using table saw and then sand it. Will let you guys know how everything went. Also today I will receive my live rocks and live sand :bounce:

looks good from here. if it is how they advertize there rock it should be some awsome rock. but get some dry reef rocks as well it is dry rocks but the live rock will seed it and make it like rock as well and it cost about half what LR is.

can I make saltwater and put a heater in some container and keep them for 2-3 days?
Also first leaking test performed on my sump and it is leaking in two places. Will the special silicone for aquariums fix the leaks? I do have some pictures but on my phone. Will post them ASAP

Yes, you can store saltwater after it's made.

You don't need special silicone; you can use regular silicone from the hardware store -- silicone is silicone. :) Just make sure you buy a brand that doesn't contain anti-microbial additives (GE Silicone I is aquarium safe). You will have to drain the sump and apply the silicone when it's dry, and then let it cure for at least 24 hours afterwards before adding water.

This is assuming your sump is glass... Silicone works on glass. Not on acrylic.

You can store live rocks in the water, but you should use a heater and a powerhead to keep the water moving. If they are going to be in there for more than a week or two, you will want to do water changes.

You can fix the leaks with an acrylic sump. You can use a product called WeldOn to fix acrylic.

Yeah you should be able to store the LR in the salt water with a heater and a circulation pump. It would be no different than if it were in your tank.

You will need to find a product designed for acrylic.

Back