DIY Refugium/Sump

My new sump. Second leak test and it's ready to go :bounce:
Some pictures. Not a best quality but my phone was the only camera on hand.
IMAG0078_zps134d5764.jpg

IMAG0080_zps6976449b.jpg

IMAG0081_zpsf9055ce9.jpg

IMAG0082_zpsc5b60af5.jpg

Also guys which overflow box it's better? The guy who gave me the aquarium have two of them and I have no idea which one to use. Both of them are 300GPH
IMAG0087_zps19918812.jpg

IMAG0088_zps9647b6a9.jpg

The overflows seem pretty much the same. I would try both and pick what seems better to you.

use the one with the baffle it will help keep the u tube under water on both sides to keep the syphon, if power cuts out your sump will fill up then the utube will get empty and loose the syphone, ones the power turns back on you will flood your tank if that U tube doesnt keep its syphone, the one with the baffle should keep its syphone since the tube will be under water in both sides.

use the one with the baffle it will help keep the u tube under water on both sides to keep the syphon, if power cuts out your sump will fill up then the utube will get empty and loose the syphone, ones the power turns back on you will flood your tank if that U tube doesnt keep its syphone, the one with the baffle should keep its syphone since the tube will be under water in both sides.
Sounds good to me :D

okay folks now I need help with plumbing and pump decision. I have 300GPH overflow box. So far it looks like I should purchase MagDrive5 pump. The pump have 1/2" MPT outlet size. So does it mean that I should build my plumbing from 1/2" dia PVC? Also when I count the head pressure should I count the 90 degree elbow from return to refugium section,which is controlled by bal lvalve?

You would count the total distance from the pump to your tank, and if you have a T that branches off to the refugium, I would not count that. What is your pumping distance? The Mag 5 should be fine for anything less than 4 feet.

Check out my return line. Does it have too many 90 elbows?
IMAG0089.jpg

I have 5 X 90elbows on it. Two of them are on the top . They go over aquarium rim.

If i where u i would switch the overflow and the return to the other ends. That way your return will have more of a direct route up. And u will have less head pressure.

Back