DIY Remote DSB/Fuges

Bifferwine

I am a girl
I've been bored with my current set up lately. I have so many extra 5 gallon buckets sitting around and I know the idea of hooking them all up together to make a remote DSB/fuge has been thrown around a lot on here.

So, say I was to use 4 or 6 of them (haven't measured the space left under my stand, but I think either 4 or 6 would fit). And I have a spare MaxiJet sitting around to pump water from my sump to the buckets. How would I connect the buckets to each other, and how would I get the water to return back to the sump??

I suck at DIY. I need it spelled out for me, please!

I have a spare CPR overflow box sitting around, I could use that to draw water from my sump, then have the MaxiJet pump it back...

So how to connect the buckets then? Should I cut holes in the sides and connect them with tubing? I'm so inept.

No one is replying to my thread except for me :(

I figured that using the overflow box with MaxiJet for return won't work since the water depth in the sump is going to stay constant at all times, regardless of how the MaxiJet is working = overflowing buckets... Suggestions?

Is your return pump running as fast as it can go. You could use the overflow from the tank through the lid in the first bucket with a bulk head. Connect as many buckets as you want with bulk heads and lids. Then have it drain into your sump. You would just need to have the water level of the bucket higher than the water in you sump. I would just get a rubber made container that was as long as the bucket chain gang.

Yep,you have to drill large holes near the top and connect them with PVC pipe.Have the MJ take water from the first chamber then drain back to the return section of the sump.Water comes into the first bucket,drains into the second,so forth,then drains back into the return section.

I would use one of those plastic totes from Wally World.

I don't want to mess with the plumbing I already have, so it will have to be plumbed totally separate from the existing sump/fuge setup...

I know! I'll just tell NoobDeBiff to figure it out and do it for me. That usually works! Thanks guys! :)

Wondering when someone was going to suggest NDB. Looks like you yourself beat me to it, because that was going to be my suggestion!

Here's my thoughts:
Bucketssump.jpg

How would I connect the buckets to each other, and how would I get the water to return back to the sump??
Use Uniseals to connect the buckets together. You can try a bulkhead, but they are make to be attached to a flat surface where uniseals are contoured.
To get flow into them, use a BIG powerhead and set it in your sump and connect it to the 1st bucket. Run the line from the last bucket back into the sump.

Beating Doc in water volume is a tiny little side benefit...

If the buckets are connected by tubing/PVC will they need lids? I don't want them to be covered.

well my thinking was the the first couple buckets would have good air but as the water passed through others it would loose the air by the time it got to the last bucket. but even if it did that would not be a bad thing either

Biff can you find any of the square buckets? that would save you some money on the uniseals. A lot of restaurants get bulk food in them(usually bagged inside of them)

Seems like a ton of work to bust Doc's chops!

I'll probably head to Lowe's (take that Dustin!!) this weekend and see if I can get some uniseals there.

I can find square buckets, but I already have a gazillion round 5 gallon buckets that I'd like to use for something. Other than space-taker-uppers on my back patio.

Back