diy RO/DI FILTER

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
I've seen a few easy DIY RO/DI filters. And from what I gather, the housing is the cheap part, but the actual filter material and carbon is what may cost more.

What is everyone's take on it? I have nitrates in my tap, and I don't feel like running the the fish store everytime I need a water change. I'm currently battling a very very very high nitrate level (160ppm!!!) to an old inherited marine tank (which I started over from scratch, with just live rock, crabs, and snails). My partial water changes weren't helping in the least because of the pre-existing nitrate level on my tap.

DIY for RODI? I haven't seen that done in this hobby.

My RODI unit cost $100. I got it at www.purewaterclub.com and recommend them.

Or, if you have a grocery store or Walmart nearby, you can get RODI water from them for cheap too.

That link is not an RO/DI filter. It's just water run thru a poly filter and carbon. That's barely better than plain tap water.

You can DIY a RO/DI filter, but buying seperate housings and carts and a seperate RO membrane would cost more than buying it premade.

Ah! Thanks for clearing that up. Good thing I posted that link before trying it LOL I found a couple of used ones on craigslist. Maybe I"ll check them out.

Remember, it's fine to buy the unit itself used, but you will need to buy new filter cartridges, and those need to be replaced every 6 months or so. Anyone that buys their own RODI unit has to buy a TDS meter to go along with it. The TDS meter will tell you if your unit is working or not, and when the membranes need to be changed. I got my TDS meter off of Ebay for $20, so they are not expensive.

I went ahead and had my lfs order me a good rodi :) I forget the brand he ordered, but it wasn't that much more than if I had bought that used one. At least this one is new with new cartridges. I think the one I asked for does 35 gallons/day, if that makes sense?

Sounds good. I hope you got a good price -- the one I got online for $100 including shipping does 100 gallons per day. The more expensive you get, the faster they'll work.

The expense in RO water is not the unit so much as the water ported to waste. I am on a well so my hidden expense is just the electricty to pump it. If you have utility water you may see your water bill rise.

Most membranes work most efficently at 50 PSI of water pressure ( also depends on water temp). Over 75 PSI can, however destroy the membrane. The lower your water pressure the more you will throw to the waste or sewer. A booster pressure pump may also then be worth the expense.

I highly recommend: For good information and units and supplies:
http://www.airwaterice.com/
They have a "reef keepers set-up" that is good. And for TDS(Totally Disloved Solids) get one or add the Deionization stage for totally 0 TDS.
Have dealt with these folks for several years and their filter repacement prices ar good

So sucks where i live, Australia. Australia has no read RO/DI system available. a 3 stage RO unit costs $400+ here which is VERY overpriced. Even "the Filter Guys" said, Quote: [FONT=&quot]Boy talk about overpriced.
[/FONT]

Or craigslist. They have Australia listed as one of the active countries using it. I did not even attempt to do this diy rodi. I just bought one for around $169USD at my LFS.

Ok, I have started looking at theses but they confuse me? I went to http://www.purewaterclub.com/ and looked around. There are so many different ones, and I don't really understand why one is better then another? What basic features do I want on it? I have looked on CL and a few other local forums and have seen them for cheep but i don't know if they are what I need/want?

this is the one that i got and it is great i have it under the kitchen sink that has a tap for it then i ran a line to the basement into a garbage can and i also teed off of that line and ran another line to my tank with a float valve. so i get drinking water water for water changes and water for an auto topoff

6st 100GPD Reverse Osmosis RO+DI 2 OUTPUT Water Filters
[PW-22-273]$122.00
pixel_trans.gif

t.php
TR {FONT-FAMILY: "Arial", "Helvetica", "sans-serif"; FONT-SIZE: 12px; LINE-HEIGHT: 20px}
We Ship From USA directly![FONT=verdana,arial]

100 Gallon Per Day 6 stage 2 OUTPUT Reverse Osmosis

+ Clear (DI)De-Ionized filter + 4 G Tank + Needle valve

Water Filter Complete System

for both Drinking and Aquarium use

Dual Outputs both for Drinking and Reef!!

[/FONT]​

Back