DIY Rubbermaid container sump

Sort of... A hamster is an item you can obtain. But it takes planning and coordination. Planning that has been a year and a half in the works now!

lol

i need 2 pumps right? what kind of pumps should i get? do they both need to have the same power?

what do i connect the pumps to?

No you only need one pump for your sump. The water is gravity fed down (via a siphon) if you use an overflow box if your tank is not drilled. It's gravity fed down through the hole in the tank if your tank is drilled. You only need one pump to shoot the water back up to the tank.

No, you can use PVC or vinyl tubing, or a mix of both. Whichever you like more (I like PVC better -- it's much cheaper and easier to work with, IMO).

Mine uses just one pump....everything else is gravity. Water goes down the 2 overflows, into my 20g intake, which is predrilled and raised above the main sump, then water pours into the main sump, then back up the return pump.

My skimmer will go in the big sump, and a pump in the 20g intake will feed a fuge that will be above the tank....which will rely on gravity to pour back into the tank. Thath part's not done, yet.

It is gravity fed from the main tank through the overflow, to the sump. You only need one pump to pump it back up to the main tank.

If setup correctly, it should't LOL assuming you have proper drainage, your main tank should never overflow past the overflow lines. Sometimes, if a large turbo for example crawls into one of the overflow tubes, it could slow down the flow to the sump, and cause a flood.

My 45g has a hob overflow. Even if it loses siphon, my tank and sump's water levels are designed to never overflow. The worst that will happen is that my sump will dry up and my pump will break from pumping dry. But whether my pump cuts off or my siphon breaks, no flood as long as I don't go past my lines.

Back