DIY Skimmer

the recirculating pump is a mag 7, thought it was a 5 but when putting it together noticed the model number. Definantly something to look into. Had this little pump just hanging around so decided to try it.

Ya I agree with the rest might be slow. My hob fuge with skimmers pump is a 250 but it is slower then that because of the venturi thing. As they chop bubbles it decreases water flow.

Well isnt it funny how when you are looking for some info on building the thing you cant seem to find it. But then when you do, it practically jumps at you?
Just found this for those interested.:mrgreen:
DIY 4" Needle Wheel Skimmer

I think the biggest drawback to mine is that the mag 7 doesnt have a needle wheel. I think I will have to try and find a NW impellor for the mag 7 to help chop up those bubbles a bit more. Also if the venturi injector was a true venturi instead of just a peice of tubing in a PVC fitting.

Here is a price break down. Not going to include the pumps since I had them laying around.

10" length - 4" Sch 40 pipe, found it on a job site, Free but saw a 2 foot section for 5 bucks at Lowes total $5
2 - 4" Sch 40 couplings, $2, total $9
1 - 4" sewer coupling, $2, total $11
2 - 4" sewer caps, $1.50, total $14
1 - 2-liter bottle, free, total $14
3 - 1/2" female pipe thread to slip on, $.25, total $14.75
2- 1/2" male pipe thread to slip on, $.25, total $15.25
1- 1/2" female pipe thread to slip elbow, $.25, total $15.50
1 - 1/2" union, $2, total $17.50
1 - 1/2" compresion coupling, $2, total $19.50
bag of elbow, not all used, $2, total $21.50
1 - 1" male pipe to slip PVC electrical fitting, $.25 total $21.75
1 - 1" female pipe to slip PVC electrical fitting, $.25 total $22
10' stick of 1/2" pipe - $2, total $24

That is about all the material I used that I can think of off the top of my head. Going to look into making that collection cup in the other site. Looks alot better than mine.

Brian

Ya I agree with the rest might be slow. My hob fuge with skimmers pump is a 250 but it is slower then that because of the venturi thing. As they chop bubbles it decreases water flow.

The 60 GPH pump is just a feeder pump, there is no venturi inline with that pump. The one with the venturi is a mag 7.

Well isnt it funny how when you are looking for some info on building the thing you cant seem to find it. But then when you do, it practically jumps at you?
Just found this for those interested.:mrgreen:
DIY 4" Needle Wheel Skimmer

I think the biggest drawback to mine is that the mag 7 doesnt have a needle wheel. I think I will have to try and find a NW impellor for the mag 7 to help chop up those bubbles a bit more. Also if the venturi injector was a true venturi instead of just a peice of tubing in a PVC fitting.

Here is a price break down. Not going to include the pumps since I had them laying around.

10" length - 4" Sch 40 pipe, found it on a job site, Free but saw a 2 foot section for 5 bucks at Lowes total $5
2 - 4" Sch 40 couplings, $2, total $9
1 - 4" sewer coupling, $2, total $11
2 - 4" sewer caps, $1.50, total $14
1 - 2-liter bottle, free, total $14
3 - 1/2" female pipe thread to slip on, $.25, total $14.75
2- 1/2" male pipe thread to slip on, $.25, total $15.25
1- 1/2" female pipe thread to slip elbow, $.25, total $15.50
1 - 1/2" union, $2, total $17.50
1 - 1/2" compresion coupling, $2, total $19.50
bag of elbow, not all used, $2, total $21.50
1 - 1" male pipe to slip PVC electrical fitting, $.25 total $21.75
1 - 1" female pipe to slip PVC electrical fitting, $.25 total $22
10' stick of 1/2" pipe - $2, total $24

That is about all the material I used that I can think of off the top of my head. Going to look into making that collection cup in the other site. Looks alot better than mine.

Brian

Now that's something I could afford. Might have to add 20% to your total for the exchange rate!! LOL. :mrgreen: I might try one this weekend and hook my pond pump up to it. It's a 250gph...never know. Thanks for the great pics and idea!

Barry

Now I didnt use any uniseals like the link that I gave. I just drilled a hole with a 7/8th hole saw and glues the pipe in place. If I had a 1/2 pipe tap, I would have threaded it. It still isnt producing much foam yet. I think I need to raise the water level in the skimmer up some. But I have the output adjusted as high as it goes right now. Just need to make a new back to back with longer legs. Havent had time the past couple days.

the way I see it is that if it works I save a couple hundred dollars. If it doesnt, I am only out less than 30 and time. Being that I was not doing anything else, I dont count that towards anything.

Still fine tuning it. Built this thing then got called back to work and not much time left during the day to really adjust it.

I did make the return from the skimmer higher so that the water level is closer to the top of the collection cup. Just really have to get some time and fine tune the thing. I would say it is better than a seaclone right now. But really not saying much then

Brian

i think part of why adjusting is so difficult is because you cant see inside the main chamber i assume. It really helps to be able to see whats going on inside while its running. But im not sure, can you see inside?

I build a few skimmers before and one of them i used a similar white cylinder and i got so frustrated with it because i couldnt tell what is going on inside that i just gave up and made one from a 5-gal jug.

i've been trying to think of alternative sources of main chamber material, specifically something clear... the only thing that i've come up with so far is either find a bank drive through that they are tearing down, and get the air tubes cause some of thoes are clear, or, the other thing that i thought of, and would be a real pain to make work, but.... what about thoes clear tubular packaging things that they sell christmas ornaments in? like at walmart or target?

Back